Welding Rod Recommendation

/ Welding Rod Recommendation #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
I am a fair welder, my beads are not pretty but they hold.
I have a project that needs strong welds on 1/4" SSA plate for a homemade brush bucket
Using a Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt.
What is a good all purpose rod that runs easy and is strong?
TIA

/ Welding Rod Recommendation #2  
I am a fair welder, my beads are not pretty but they hold.
I have a project that needs strong welds on 1/4" SSA plate for a homemade brush bucket
Using a Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt.
What is a good all purpose rod that runs easy and is strong?
TIA
6011 is my go-to rod for most stuff around the farm.

Aaron Z

/ Welding Rod Recommendation #3  
1/8" 6010 followed by 3/32" 7018 (same heat setting about 100 amps) DC.

/ Welding Rod Recommendation #5  
7018, 7018 and more 7018. Why use something else?

I am pretty much in this camp. Once you start using 7018, you will love it. Break the "corn" off with your thumb before restriking the rod. I still use 6011 at times on rusty metal, but 7018 bead are prettier and stronger to boot. Hold your arc length close with 7018. You will be satisfied with the results.

/ Welding Rod Recommendation #6  
6011 for the root pass then 7014 or 7018. 7014 is easier to run then 7018 and has just about the same strength.

/ Welding Rod Recommendation #7  
7018 is a nice easy to use rod that works well on clean steel;
other wise I use 6011 for most everything else, great penetration, will burn right thru paint rust and grease.
I will go thru 10 pounds of 6011 and not even make a dent in a 5 pound box of 7018.
If you are using all nice new clean steel to fabricate something 7018 is nice,
if it's a repair that needs to be done and actually done 20 minutes ago because its holding up work, grab the 6011 stick back it together and get to work.

/ Welding Rod Recommendation #8  
For the hobbyist or occasional welder it’s hard to beat 6011. Are their better, prettier and fancier rod- yes. But their is so little learning curve and such obvious “success” welding with it is a staple for most.

Now if you said you want to learn more and wanted to practice some before the project and wanted to learn a new skill- then I’d offer up 7018.

It’s like the difference between your Honda and your Jeep. When you just need to run into town real fast you grab the Honda. When you have some extra time you grab the Jeep- it is cooler after all! Same with the rod.

/ Welding Rod Recommendation #9  
Gee guys, running 7018 is not hard. I'd only ever run 6011 if working on a bucket of rust.