Welding a Disc Blade.

/ Welding a Disc Blade. #21  
Yes spring steel is generically used. I still like to use the term!

Spring steel
-----------------------------------------------------
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spring steel is a name given to a wide range of steels[1] used in the manufacture of different products, including swords, saw blades, springs and many more. These steels are generally low-alloy manganese, medium-carbon steel or high-carbon steel with a very high yield strength. This allows objects made of spring steel to return to their original shape despite significant deflection or twisting.

/ Welding a Disc Blade. #23  
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wiki can be pretty good sometimes but this article was clearly not written by someone with any metallurgy or engineering background.

It's a name given to those metals by people who think that describing a pan they use for cooking as "Carbon Steel" somehow conveys any particularly useful information.
If it is steel there is carbon in it.
Even the new fancy GREEN "Carbon Free" Steel has plenty of carbon in it. They are merely eliminating carbon (coal etc) from the manufacturing process.

But while I disagree with the wiki page because it was written by someone who had no business writing on the topic, I will give it to you that it is fair game to call a piece of spring material "spring steel" because it is steel and it is a spring.

However, if one wants to know how to handle that so-called spring steel, E.g., fatigue life, cycle speed, Young's modulus, machining, welding, heat treating, tool and knife-making etc., then one really does need to know what the particular steel alloy is, or else there will be a lot of trial and error.

/ Welding a Disc Blade. #25  
I broke a disc off Saturday. Replacements are about $20, if I remember correctly. However, I want to fix things when I can.

I'm trying to learn welding so I welded it up and thought all was good. Then I noticed I had missed welding on the crack in a few spots. Damn. Welded more, making sure I was all over the crack. All good. I went about putting stuff away and heard a loud pop.

Looked at the disc and, damn, there is a crack just beside my most recent weld.

A friend has said he thinks it it "Cast" and that I should try a "55 Nickle Rod".

Any advise (other than getting better at welding) from any of you would certainly be appreciated.
As a life long professional welder I can tell you they are not cast iron. If that last photo is your weld you need more practice. Preheat with cutting torch or propane torch. Use 7018 weld the best you can and cool slowly, floor dry or cat litter is a good product for slow cooling. Pour 3 or 4 inches in a box or barrel and then put in disc and put another 8 inches on top. Come back next day

/ Welding a Disc Blade.
As a life long professional welder I can tell you they are not cast iron. If that last photo is your weld you need more practice. Preheat with cutting torch or propane torch. Use 7018 weld the best you can and cool slowly, floor dry or cat litter is a good product for slow cooling. Pour 3 or 4 inches in a box or barrel and then put in disc and put another 8 inches on top. Come back next day
That there is some great advice!

Yes, I know I need more practice. No, I need a LOT more practice. I'm just starting out and was excited to have a real project instead of just welding scrap metal.

I'll never reach professional level. I just want to be able to fix things and/or make some things on occasion.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

/ Welding a Disc Blade. #27  
I welded one together about 6 years ago with a 1/8" 7014 rod on a Lincoln AC 225 set at about 90 amps and it has held ever since. I don't know how as it was cracked from the center all the way out but it is still on that gang and still cutting.

/ Welding a Disc Blade. #28  
No, I need a LOT more practice.
you'd be shocked to learn how many guys with too little experience will weld up a trailer and take it out on the highway fully loaded. I wonder what the charges should be when the trailer dumps its contents all over the highway.
Reckless endangerment?
Willful manslaughter?
Negligent homicide?

/ Welding a Disc Blade. #29  
Disc blades are proprietary to different manufacturers but replacement companies I found advertise equivalent to SAE 1070 heat treated to HRC 38-42. One goes to a little harder HRC 45. Being that high carbon, its not easy to weld and will likely fail quickly. Yeah, you can find it in Wikipedia's definition of spring steel which is any steel that you can bend and twist without easily deforming.

/ Welding a Disc Blade. #30  
you'd be shocked to learn how many guys with too little experience will weld up a trailer and take it out on the highway fully loaded. I wonder what the charges should be when the trailer dumps its contents all over the highway.
Reckless endangerment?
Willful manslaughter?
Negligent homicide?
That s why anything I weld does not go off the property... Unless its just an ornamental piece...