Weird Telephone Call

/ Weird Telephone Call #21  
This just happened to my sister, last night. When she answered the phone it was "Karen with card member services". Maybe a way to keep numbers from being blocked or not answered?

Karen? What happened to Amy? :laughing:

/ Weird Telephone Call
I'm curious 2L, what is your home phone service - olde school phone company, or VOIP based ?

Rgds, D.

Don't understand the VOIP part, but our phone is part of a bundle with Cox Cable...Internet, Cable TV and telephone.

/ Weird Telephone Call
He's probably still using a "party line":D

We finally got rid of the party line. That was our entertainment before we got our new fangled TV; I really miss it and the alcoholic, bipolar English language expletive deleted expert who thought he had priority over the rest of us.

/ Weird Telephone Call #26  
Don't understand the VOIP part, but our phone is part of a bundle with Cox Cable...Internet, Cable TV and telephone.

Bundled with cable, it will be VOIP based.

Voice over IP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was just curious..... while hackable, old school telco systems and software were pretty bulletproof (in some cases, literally)....... about how hardened these VOIP applications are.

As long as you aren't losing arguments with yourself on the other end of the phone ;) I wouldn't worry too much....

Rgds, D.

/ Weird Telephone Call #27  
I guess I'll weigh in here, being a phone man for 35 years. It could have been a telephone tech testing your number, dialing a code and having it ring back to him. People can make their caller ID say what ever they want with the right equipment. My test gear allows me to do all of this. Power outages have nothing to do with your phone unless your local phone in your house requires electricity like a cordless phone. Electrical outages and phone outages have nothing to do with each other. Now all this is based on a typical land line from your local telephone company. Cable companies and the like run your TV, Internet and phone all over one high speed data connection, data is all IP based, VOIP is Voice over IP, meaning your voice is translated to a bit stream of 1's and 0's and then assembled back at the far end buy another piece of equipment to turn it into voice again. Kinda complicated but that's the dime store version.

/ Weird Telephone Call #28  
We finally got rid of the party line. That was our entertainment before we got our new fangled TV; I really miss it and the alcoholic, bipolar English language expletive deleted expert who thought he had priority over the rest of us.

That does sound way more innarresting than what's on TV these daze.....

With the right representation, we could probably get that guy a network deal..... you might have a winner there !

Rgds, D.

/ Weird Telephone Call
That does sound way more innarresting than what's on TV these daze.....

With the right representation, we could probably get that guy a network deal..... you might have a winner there !

Rgds, D.

Hah. Sharn Jean reported him to the telephone company, and they told him that any further reports of profanity and they would revoke his telephone privileges. I think he was so humiliated that he O.D.'d on Lithium...or maybe Thorazine. ;)

/ Weird Telephone Call #30  
So 2L, your talking to yourself on the phone now?:laughing:

It's okay to talk to yourself. It's even okay to argue with yourself. The real problem is when you lose the argument!