Ballast Weights

/ Weights #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
Had a fellow contractor ask about buying my B-2150. This got me to thinking about a new B-2910 to replace it. After looking over the brochure I now have some reservations. Why is it that the B-2910 a larger tractor weighs less than my B-2150. This doesn't make any sense. With a larger engine in the B-2910 it should weigh more since the tractors are about equal in everything else. That means that somewhere either in the frame or the driveline there have been weight reductions. This is not my idea of improving a tractor. Any ideas?
One of my Kubota dealers is also a New Holland dealer and after looking over the same horsepower tractors I can honestly say that the New Hollands are made heavier. I haven't had the chance to operate one but if I decide to sell and buy new I will check them out.

/ Weights #2  
What is the weight differential? Reason that I ask is that it was discussed here last winter (old forum) about how different manufactures use different criteria (dry weight -vs- field weight). Anyone remember the outcome of that discussion (Kubota's method and NH's method)?

/ Weights
The B-2910 weighs 1763 lbs., while the B-2150 weighs 1839 lbs. per Kubota specs. As for the New Holland I don't know the weights but I have seen a New Holland 25 next to a B-2710 and it is considerably larger in all componets including the tires. Dealer told me that more people are buying the New Hollands because they are bigger than the equivilant Kubota, they feel that they are getting more for their money. Not having operated one I can't say, but I am impressed with their beefiness.

/ Weights #4  
Regarding tractor weight, the NH TC25 weighs from 2334 to 2588 depending on whether it is 4WD (2334 lbs), 4WD (2474), or 4WD w/SuperSteer (2588). The frame is rather beefy and they handle very well with good operator ergonomics. I have never driven the Kubota, just NH and JD. (I own a NH TC40D)

DavidV

/ Weights #5  
That 1763 lbs. versus 2334 lbs. is too much difference to be accounted for in weighing-methods, so it would seem to be a material-difference. Personally, I would test-drive and consider both.

/ Weights #6  
I wonder if the NH transmission case is iron and the Kubota case is aluminum with steel exo-skeleton reiforcings?

/ Weights #7  
Why would you wonder that?