Weights for beginners

/ Weights for beginners #11  
I bought a b8200 with a loader about 2yrs ago..the first thing I did was to load up the rear tires with calcium. Idk how the other owner used the thing for 30yrs with no weight in the rear.

I can see how usefull a balist box would be but it's just another attachment I need to take off when I want to use something like a landscape rake, they dont weigh enough. I do own a balist box and the only time I have ever used it was to skid logs due to its 2in reciever attachment.

/ Weights for beginners #12  
I understand why you might think that but to me in the woods loaded tires are always a very good idea. Loaded tires do a lot to lower your center of gravity as well as add weight for traction. Balance for the FEL is only one of the benefits of loaded tires. In the woods where the terrain is rough and often unpredictable having a lower center of gravity is a big safety feature. I don't think a loaded tire is any more vulnerable to rocks and stumps than an unloaded one. But of course if you do get a puncture you have a much bigger problem when they are loaded. The lower center of gravity is also a big safety feature when using the loader also independent from the balance issue.

gg
One local tire store is or was loading them with used auto antifreeze for a low price. It's a great way for them to get rid of it; but there's no way that I would want it on my property. Get a slow leak and you're spewing that crap everywhere.

/ Weights for beginners #13  
All the tractor I've own rear tires were loaded,if more weight was needed when using FEL rear attachment did the trick.

/ Weights for beginners #14  
... I don't think a loaded tire is any more vulnerable to rocks and stumps than an unloaded one. But of course if you do get a puncture you have a much bigger problem when they are loaded...
Gordon, I have a lot of Locust trees and those thorns regularly penetrated the R1's on my first tractor the first couple of years I had it. The tires were not filled so I used Slime which solved the problem over the last 25 years. When I recently bought my new tractor I weighed the benefits of having either ballast "or" sealant thinking you couldn't have both. I did some research and found that a company named Liquitube has added a new sealant specifically to use with liquid ballast to their product line. I had my dealer add it to all 4 tires, along with liquid ballast to the rears. If the video is anywhere close to reality, then I won't have to worry about locust thorns.
Jump to about 35 seconds...

Jay

Last edited:
   / Weights for beginners #15  
I agree with a couple posters, unsprung weight is the best option and should be considered first! Keeping the weight off the bearings is important. Adding rear weight such as with an implement or 3pt weight box should in limited when possible!
David from jax

/ Weights for beginners #16  
All the tractor I've own rear tires were loaded,if more weight was needed when using FEL rear attachment did the trick.
I agree - I wouldn't have a tractor w/o loaded rear tires. But I don't have a lawn to worry about like some.

gg

/ Weights for beginners #17  
Avg annual snowfall...2 inches...I don't miss it.
Your reply has some great info though. What do you use to load the tires?
I actually use windshield washer fluid because we buy it by the tote and its the cheapest thing that wont freeze. i think it could be a bad choice on a smaller machine or if the tires werent as full because you may feel the sloshing. i used a rented tractor with loaded tires once brush hogging way back and it drove me crazy to have the machine rocking back and forth all day. I assume it was because they were only half full.

/ Weights for beginners #18  
That's pretty hard on your front axle if the rear tires raise up...also, the tractor can be quite unstable...
If I have an implement on the 3PH, that's usually adequate for what I'm lifting. If no implement, I use a weight box full of sand...700lbs +/- 100 lbs.

Rear tire weight really helps stability...not so much balancing weight between the front (FEL) and rear...

/ Weights for beginners #19  
I actually use windshield washer fluid because we buy it by the tote and its the cheapest thing that wont freeze. i think it could be a bad choice on a smaller machine or if the tires werent as full because you may feel the sloshing. i used a rented tractor with loaded tires once brush hogging way back and it drove me crazy to have the machine rocking back and forth all day. I assume it was because they were only half full.
WW fluid is cheaper than a 50lb bag of calcium and 40-50gal of water? I think I paid $25-30 for 50lbs of ice melt (calcium chloride) at the height of winter when I filled my tires.

I have driven many machines with loaded and even foam filled tires. I have never felt sloshing. You can and only really want to fill the liquid in the tire to just below the valve stem when it's at the 12 o clock possition.

I also have a old ford 851 that has loaded tires that are so dry rotted I'm suprised the tube is still in the tire yet they still are and I have driven over many stumps and sharp rocks with out even taking a valve stem out while useing it to clear brush.

/ Weights for beginners #20  
Rear tire weight really helps stability...not so much balancing weight between the front (FEL) and rear...

Sure it does help. Just not as much as if the same weight were out back. And it is easier on bearings and you don't have to take it on/off.