WD-40

/ WD-40 #11  
Thomas, WD-40 good stuff for sure. Used a lot of WD cleaning up the Zunny. Check out the pics. Before and after. (BTW the after was up at Gunstock for Vintage Race Day.)

One of the least things I do with it is use it as a lubricant. I usually use Zep 45 or tri-flow. There's also another spray I use has TEFLON in it. Can't recall the name right now.

Don't really find a need to use it on the H-D's. I use S100 Corrosion protectant on the metal/paint/plastic for storage. Other than greasing zerk fittings, wheel, swingarm and neck bearings, the cables are about it. I use a powdered graphite for the speedometer. One has a Kevlar belt, the other a pre lubed O-ring chain and I've used a parrifin wax chain lube for years after a few episodes of flinging oil up on the back/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif of a certain p-pad rider./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

Attachments

• 28-37325-resto.jpg
    28-37325-resto.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 119
   / WD-40 #12  
Beautiful job you've done on that little bike? Is that a 250cc?

Bird

/ WD-40 #13  
You know... somehow I just knew Bird would know that... don't ask me why? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

{from web}

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion-a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try.

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ WD-40 #14  
Thanks Bird. That one is the 200cc Challenger model. the 250 was the Super Sabre. A lot of the parts are the same. There is a side panel that covers up battery and airfilter/carb asy. Has fully enclosed rear chain guard on it too.

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

/ WD-40 #15  
<font color=blue>another cyclist on this board! </font color=blue>

Allright! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I imagine it's a bit difficult for you this time of year. Us too, but not to the same degree. Main issue is the rain & my fear of getting hit by a wild motorist (who all seem to be blind to bikes)! The trails are also in deep-mud mode, so I haven't been getting out on the Mt-bike much either /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

That's all changing now. We are in full-blown spring-spinging mode out here /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif, and I expect to get a lot of both road time & trail time. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

My buddie & I are signing up for several "metric centuries" this spring and early summer. Plus, we are also seriously considering doing the "24 hours of Adrenalin" down at Laguna Seca this spring. It's a 24-hour mt. bike "race". Not exactly a race, more of a confirmation of idiocy./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif.

The GlueGuy

/ WD-40 #16  
Re: WD-40/Bikes

<font color=blue>Not exactly a race, more of a confirmation of idiocy</font color=blue>

I almost got drug into one of those last year... 24 hours of Canaan in Viginia (or West Virginia?). The guys who ended up doing it had a blast and said it was more of a party than a race.

Yeah, our weather has basically su**ed this year. Not enough snow for tractoring and generally too lousy for biking. I did manage to ride into work today for the first time since November. It was 32 degrees but it's up to 48 now. Supposed to rain tomorrow and turn to snow again Friday /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Do you ever get the feeling tractors and bikes are at opposite ends of some spectrum? Keep spinning and good luck with those centuries /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ WD-40 #17  

<font color=blue>Do you ever get the feeling tractors and bikes are at opposite ends of some spectrum?</font color=blue>

I would have to imagine some sort of multi-dimensional spectrum to make it work. But yes... About the only thing they have in common is wheels. Try to imagine the way you would compare all the different wheeled-things. Bikes & tractors, and cars, and trucks, and so on and so on.... makes the mind boggle./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

The GlueGuy

/ WD-40 #18  

My bikes (bicycles, the Harley should be at the dealer next month) and my tractor seem to me to be at about the same end of the spectrum. I am into old bikes, pre index shifting and titanium and carbon fiber. My oldest is a 1933 Colson Flier (made in Eleria Ohio, I went there once but nobody knew where the old Colson factory was), and I have, if I can keep them straight, a 1955, 1959, 1963, two 1966's, 1968, and 1972 Schwinns. All are old fashioned one speeds, except the 1972 which is a 10 speed Continental which is original right down to the air in its tires! These bikes, and tractors, are really built of the same philosophy - simple design, ease of owner maintanance, interchangability of parts, and general respect for durability and quality of construction. One difference though - I can take my bikes apart down to the last bolt and bearing, and then get it back together again with no "extra" pieces left over. Don't think I could do that with the tractor yet, but I am trying to learn!

/ WD-40 #19  

GlueGuy and PaulB, I agree on the similarities (wheels) but for me that's about it. Weight is king on my tractor and if I could afford more I'd do it (loaded tires/wheel weights etc.). On my bikes it's completely the opposite. I spend money to keep weight off. On the bike I'm trying to go as fast as I can for my available power while on the tractor I often go as slow as possible while still putting out lots of PTO power. An interesting contrast that I don't lose sleep over /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Both fun activites and I'm glad to find others with similar interests /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ WD-40 #20  
WVBILL ,I would buy a 5 gal bucket! As a matter of fact I use so much WD-40 I should have stock in the co. Its a wonder liquid, I mainly use it for my motorcycles to clean ,I will wash my bike and spray the whole thing down to wick the water away , and I dont use any engine gunk, I just spray and wipe everything .It does wonders for plastic and vinal, try this, if you have any plastic or vinal that sees some wear and gets set in dirt and looks discolored, spray some on, let set for a few seconds than rub with a towel ,don't wipe rub, it will take it out. I get under my truck and just start spraying , not only will it help protect the metal but it will loosen any dirt or grease to be wiped away. That is how I will clean my tractor also, wash the body with soap and water , than spray the undercarrage or motor/trans with WD-40 and wipe. Try it , go to the back of your tractor on the rear axle or the trans housing dont even clean it just spray the dirt than wipe away it saves me alot of time . If you like things clean and protected at the same time it easy. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif