WD-40

/ WD-40 #1  

WVBill

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sold my Kubota B6100 when I moved to WA
At both Farm & Fleet and Tractor Supply, I've seen 5 gallon pails of WD-40. Now I use WD 40 in the spray cans for various things. Those small cans seem to last me forever. What would someone use 5 GALLONS of WD 40 for???
Just Curious.

18-32378-billanim.gif

/ WD-40 #2  
Bill,
I don't buy the 5 gallons pails but I buy the 2.5 gallon ones. I just put it in spray bottles. I was always breaking or losing the spray tip on the cans. Plus the 2.5 gallons last forever and it's about the price of three cans of the regular. So mostly I just did it for cost and convenience.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ WD-40 #3  
Bill, I've wondered the same thing - for individuals. I just use the little aerosol cans, but when I went to Anchorage and worked with my brothers one summer in their tire dealership and garage, they bought the WD-40 in 5 gallon cans and used a lot of it; mostly a shot of it on corroded nuts and bolts before removing them.

Bird

/ WD-40 #6  
John,
Bird beat you to the trivia around January..
Wonder Dissovlet...and the 40 means was perfected on the 40th try.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ WD-40 #7  
WVBill,

I've purchased the one gallon cans with spray bottle at CT before. Used it to clean off oil and dissolve grease on engines and tools, and soak rusty ol' parts. Used it to wipe down machinery that's stored outside. Clean out funnels after an oil change. Works good on aluminum. Alot of cleaner/degreasers aren't suitable for aluminum and doesn't seem to harm most paint or rubber either. That's a problem with a lot of the tri-chlor degreasers. That's a few I can I think of./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

/ WD-40 #8  
DFB,
Ever try WD40 on your bike also good after welding joint.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ WD-40 #9  
<font color=blue>Ever try WD40 on your bike</font color=blue>

Nope. The stuff "goes away" too fast. Years ago I started using Tri-flow on the bike 'cause the stuff's so slippery and sticks around. Problem was that it also attracts dirt and stuff. Made a mess to clean up.

About a year ago I started using some stuff called "White Lightning". This is almost as slippery but it uses a parafin carrier. The nice thing is that when it dries, it really is dry, and doesn't seem to attract as much dirt.

Sunday I was doing a road ride (bikes) with a buddy and he brought out some stuff he called "Pro Lube", which is more slippery than White Lightning, but still doesn't attract gunk like Tri-Flow does. He also showed me a bottle of "Super Tri-Flow" that he'd just gotten. Have no comments on that, as I haven't seen it in use.

As for WD-40; one spray can of that stuff lasts for years. In fact, the propellant usually goes away before the can is empty. I can't even imagine using a gallon of the stuff! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

However, reading this forum is always an education /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif !!!

The GlueGuy

/ WD-40 #10  
Allright GlueGuy, another cyclist on this board!

I use WD-40 to clean my bikes and bike parts but not as a lube. You're right, it doesn't stick around long enough. I've been using Pedros Ice Wax on my chains for a couple of years and it works well. Similar to White Lightning, but a bit thicker. Seems to last longer between applications.

Good to hear you got out Sunday. I'm so sick of my basement walls I'm riding to work tomorrow no matter what it's doing outside /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif