Ways to smooth the inside of a pipe!

/ Ways to smooth the inside of a pipe! #1  

moored4

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N
I have a Kubota L3540 with FEL. The Pipe right in front of the grill guard that connects the 2 arms of the FEL from side to side is made of welded pipe. On the inside of this pipe at the weld there is a ridge of weld running the full interior length of the pipe. I want to get rid of or to smooth this ridge out. I need suggestion on how to accomplish this.

Thanks for all and any suggestions!:thumbsup:

/ Ways to smooth the inside of a pipe! #2  
   / Ways to smooth the inside of a pipe! #3  
That "ridge" as you call it is evidence of a good, full penetration weld. Although ginding it down probably wouldn't reduce the strength much (figuring the tube wall thickness is at least 1/8th (just over 3mm), it seems like a lot of work for little advantage.
Why do you want to grind the weld bead down?
If you want to use the tube for carrying something, get a length of PVC pipe and groove it lengthwise, then tap it into the torque tube.

/ Ways to smooth the inside of a pipe! #5  
Yes! The pipe id is a little over 3ス and a tail pipe is 3ス od. I want to slide the tail pipe inside it but the weld ridge is keeping me from doing it. :mad:

I assume you pull the exhaust stack (tail pipe) when the tractor is parked in a shed and you want to keep it handy (and not misplaced).
How about a couple spring clamps mounted to one of the FEL arms?

/ Ways to smooth the inside of a pipe! #6  
Yes! The pipe id is a little over 3 ス and a tail pipe is 3 ス od. I want to slide the tail pipe inside it but the weld ridge is keeping me from doing it. :mad:

interesting idea. Personally id probably make up a clamping system like Roy suggested, or weld on a piece of smooth walled 3.5" pipe or larger pipe so the ridge wont be a factor.. Grinding that ridge will be quite a job.

What about those rubber adjustable "clamps" they sell for storing shovels etc. like this http://www.cabelas.com/jacks-tools-quick-fist-piece-rubber-clamp-3.shtml

/ Ways to smooth the inside of a pipe!
The tail pipe is not a "tail pipe?" :)It will be a tool drawer. If you use pvc pipe as mentioned above you lose almost 1/4 of the carrying capacity of the pipe. If you plug it with pvc pipe plugs or with machined heads, which someone (4 shorts) on TBN has done and did a very nice job on them, I'm envious, then you have to carry a push rod somewhere to get whatever has settled in the middle out.:eek:

My Drawer will pull out from either side and the entire length will be assessable. I come from an industrial background, 40 years retired multi craft millwright, If I was still working I would take it in off hours and set up the portable boring machine and go to town on it but "I is retired" now and no longer have those privileges. So I am looking for suggestion on how to do it with small shop resources! I have a peanut grinder, flapper wheels, burrs, ect and that is a option as mentioned above also but did not want to influence the discussion in any direction! I like to think outside the normal box and was trying to pick TBN's collective brain! So I'm still open to suggestion!!

Last edited:
   / Ways to smooth the inside of a pipe! #8  
How about doing it the "other" way and crimping the tail pipe piece so it slides on the welded ridge? Strikes me it might be a lot easier to make the insert piece fit than to do the reverse --just a thought

/ Ways to smooth the inside of a pipe! #9  
How about a piece of galvanized flue pipe. If it is too large because of the weld, cut it and rivet it back together the OD you need. It would take up even less room. They make plugs for the end if it happen to be OK original size.

/ Ways to smooth the inside of a pipe!
How about doing it the "other" way and crimping the tail pipe piece so it slides on the welded ridge? Strikes me it might be a lot easier to make the insert piece fit than to do the reverse --just a thought

That's an interesting ideal! Now how do we get a crimp the full lenth of a 4' piece o tail pipe and also maintain strightness!

edit>We could stuff a 3 inch hard fence post inside the pipe as a mandrel and using a blunt chisel grove it the entire length but would we be able to maintain straightness. A piece of 3 inch pipe will slide in but then we will have a lot of slop?

Last edited:

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2013 Nissan Altima Passenger Car (A33544)
2013 Nissan Altima...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
Ridgid 300 Tripod Threader (A33349)
Ridgid 300 Tripod...
2015 Moffett M8 55.3 (078) Truck Mounted Forklift (A33113)
2015 Moffett M8...
2024 Rhino DB150 3pt Side Mower (A33526)
2024 Rhino DB150...