Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer...

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #21  
Untreated pine? Yeah, that wouldn't happen up here. The road salt we use would eat that thing alive.
EXACTLY and the paint (if painted) would probably last a year or 2 at most. Surface rust don't compromise the structural strength of the steel for a long time. Strictly cosmetic.

I would never undercoat or rustproof any vehicle because the rustproofing compound retains moisture between it and the surface underneath it. Between the brine, the calcium chloride and the the rock salt, metal don't have a chance, especially if it's 'undercoated'.

I own a 97 Ford F350 with no rust on it. Reason why is, it gets pressure washed underneath regularly, wheel wells too which are notorious rusters when road crap and salt lay in the metal seams.

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #22  
I don't care for the Zeibart style of undercoating,
however I definitely believe in the benefits of the Waxoly, Fluid Film and Crown oil
type undercoatings and preservatives.
Between the brine, the calcium chloride and the the rock salt, metal won't have a chance, especially if it's NOT undercoated.

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer...
EXACTLY and the paint (if painted) would probably last a year or 2 at most. Surface rust don't compromise the structural strength of the steel for a long time. Strictly cosmetic.

I would never undercoat or rustproof any vehicle because the rustproofing compound retains moisture between it and the surface underneath it. Between the brine, the calcium chloride and the the rock salt, metal don't have a chance, especially if it's 'undercoated'.

I own a 97 Ford F350 with no rust on it. Reason why is, it gets pressure washed underneath regularly, wheel wells too which are notorious rusters when road crap and salt lay in the metal seams.

See...you are focusing on the "surface rust." I am addressing the fact that they painted the trailer but not the parts that were hidden under and that would trap water, sand, salt that destroys steel OVER TIME...and bacteria that breaks down untreated wood. That is why I said I am glad I noticed their failure to paint the frame under the wood on day 2 of ownership before long term damage was done.

There is a reason paint exists. It is to preserve metal. There is a reason they painted the visible parts of the trailer as well. Now, with that said, let's ask why did they not paint the portions under the wood? Feel free to explain that.

Last edited:
   / Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #24  
There are probably more economy trailer manufactures out there then there are quality ones. They cut corners everywhere. Paint, primer, lights, axles, tires, fenders, the list goes on. Research is your friend.

There are probably more economy trailer manufactures out there then there are quality ones. They cut corners everywhere. Paint, primer, lights, axles, tires, fenders, the list goes on. Research is your friend.

I am old enough to be from a time that if people would have painted the visible areas but not the covered areas, such a person would have considered to be a dishonest, underhanded, cheating scoundrel. Honest mistakes are of course going to happen, but it doesn't come off as an honest mistake when the only parts that are not painted are the covered areas...and then when you go back to the dealer you see four more done exactly the same way.

All that said, the intent of this post is to share my observations and expectations. If anyone else though is satisfied with having unpainted steel hidden under their wood deck, that is of course their prerogative. I am not trying to force my expectations onto others. I am just sharing my observations and expectations, and as you said...one better not just research the obvious, but also research what should be "expected," which is why sharing our experiences is essential. It is hard to research the good and bad when people don't share both.

Last edited:
   / Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #26  
When I lived in Wisconsin purchased a new
Dodge 2500 4 speed tranny 411 rear end and
got 18 mpg. No under coating would just wait
for when the county/city would put fresh oil on
the road then drive 50 to 60 mph over it and then
I have my under coating. Never had any rust as
that fresh oil covered the entire under carriage.

Fot the boards in a trailer I would use the drain
oil and put a couple of coats on it until the drain
oil is used up. Its water proof and it gets into
cracks and crevices and does a very good job
of keeping life in the boards

willy

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #27  
When I re-decked a trailer a couple of years ago, whatever paint had been on the frame in contact with the pressure treated wood was in poor shape. I had to sand it off, then apply rust converter, then brush on some oily metal paint. For good measure, I laid down strips of roofing felt under the new lumber where it rested on the frame.

By the way, this is what the trailer decking screws looked like after about 8 years, from contact with treated lumber:

screw.jpg

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #28  
I think they should use ceramic coated or SS screws

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #29  
I don't care for the Zeibart style of undercoating,
however I definitely believe in the benefits of the Waxoly, Fluid Film and Crown oil
type undercoatings and preservatives.
Didn't even know Ziebart still existed, thought they'd gone OOB back in the 70s. Did a Google search and the nearest place that does it is 100 mi. away, and in another state. Never had a vehicle treated with that, what is it? Old-school tarry undercoat? Yeah, that causes as many problems as it solves.
I get all mine fluid filmed every year.
People shop by price. Quality costs more, and lots of buyers are content with something that's "good enough".

When I re-decked a trailer a couple of years ago, whatever paint had been on the frame in contact with the pressure treated wood was in poor shape. I had to sand it off, then apply rust converter, then brush on some oily metal paint. For good measure, I laid down strips of roofing felt under the new lumber where it rested on the frame.

By the way, this is what the trailer decking screws looked like after about 8 years, from contact with treated lumber:

View attachment 728597
One should use appropriately treated screws as well. They are cheap considering a trailer only has a few dozen of them in it.