Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer...

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #1  

Lee Robinson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST

The steel framing and welds under the wood were not painted. Wood was not pressure treated. I removed the wood and corrected both issues. Video of me removing the wood to correct these issues was made and will be coming soon, but here are a few photos of the rust on a brand new trailer that was just 2 days old. Glad I noticed it before it had time to get worse.

Rust on the trailer under more visible after wood removed.
1.jpg

Rust surrounds the entire frame, on top of welds, including the hitch area.
2.jpg

Underside of wood shows white interior grade untreated pine...that was spayed only on the topside with a non-penetrating spray that apparently only made it appear similar to pressure treated wood.
3.jpg

AFTER PAINTING IT...
4.jpg

After treating the wood with a diesel/oil mixture with three heavy coatings sprayed on both the top and bottom.
5.jpg

Hopefully this wood treatment will last as well as actual pressure treated lumber.
6.jpg

After correcting the issues, I imagine it will last fine now...but never-the-less, I will never purchase another Texas Bragg trailer. I was very happy with my Top Hat trailer, but unfortunately sold it years ago before buying my current compact tractor.

Last edited:
   / Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer...
Didn’t you notice it on the lot before you bought it? I would have gotten under it to check for quality before I buy a trailer.
I made a mistake and assumed people gave a crap to do things right...it was a trailer, not a complex item...and it was raining and honestly...I never assumed someone would manufacture a trailer for external use that wasn't painted or used untreated wood. My fault for assuming people still cared to do right. lol

Texas Bragg is a popular brand around here so I just assumed it was a quality brand. After seeing this unpainted steel, I couldn't believe it. Then I noticed the wood had no real treatment either but was shot with some superficial spray on the top that didn't penetrate even a 1/16" (when a splinter came off while removing a screw, it was white untreated pine under).

SO I hope the diesel x oil blend works. I used three heavy coats and will spray that again a few more times if it will help.

I couldn't believe standards were low enough for a company so well known to not put basic paint on the framing and welds. Glad I caught it on day 2.

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #4  
Guess the mfg took it for granted on the popularity of the brand. That’s unfortunate. Maybe a word with the dealer might produce results? They won’t like bad publicity if they are a party of selling low quality products.

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #5  
Lee, great informative write up. Thats unacceptable to not prime/paint entire frame when bare and install quality treated lumber after paint has cured. I hope all this works out for you. A buyer should never have to worry these steps were completed and certainly never have to do them himself, unless he was informed this is how the trailer was built.

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #6  
Did you inform the manufacturer and/or dealer about the trailer? I've heard of bad welds etc on trailers but I've never heard of anything like this. They would have come got it from me and fixed it or their name would have been spalshed everywhere.

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #7  
Unless things are custom built, you will always run into minimum required expense to get the job done. The problem is much worse when buying a house. They will cut corners in the process and material just to minimum specs to get through inspection. The homeowner is none the wiser until the deficiencies crop up. Many times the builder has moved on or changed their name to avoid prosecution. Shoddy workmanship is a product of greed.

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #8  
Interesting, I bought a Texas Bragg here in Missouri in '04. Untreated wood on mine too, have replaced the wood twice. I avoided treated wood because government restricts them to salt based chemicals, which would eat up the steel.
The frame is holding up well so far.

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #9  
Unless things are custom built, you will always run into minimum required expense to get the job done. The problem is much worse when buying a house. They will cut corners in the process and material just to minimum specs to get through inspection. The homeowner is none the wiser until the deficiencies crop up. Many times the builder has moved on or changed their name to avoid prosecution. Shoddy workmanship is a product of greed.
I’d dispute that from “always” to “most of the time”. My father taught me to build things right and I always overbuilt/reinforced footings, concrete, walls, headers, etc.
Theres still some good guys out there.

/ Watch out when buying a Texas Bragg trailer... #10  
What purpose does treated wood have when its in the air and has no ground contact ?