Watch out for bicycles too.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #31  
Usually there’s no problems when you meet or get passed by a single car on rural roads. I always.try to share the road (MY lane) when riding bike and stay to the right so the car can pass. The problem is when a car is trying to pass you and there’s oncoming traffic and the car wants to make it a “3 wide” scenario.

Here’s a technique for that situation that keeps everybody safe:
Don’t share YOUR lane. When a car is approaching and there’s an oncoming car, occupy YOUR lane so that the traffic behind can’t pass and you don’t have a 3 wide scenario.
And that is the scenario that was made legal a few years back in Illinois. Basically a third lane down the center of the highway in a no passing zone while straddling the double yellow line.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #32  
I love those lights on bicycles, the more the better, i think. Plus if they are rideing in areas where it's sun and shade, i think they should be on.

Also some lights on the sides would be nice, that way when they are crossing in front of you, it makes them more visible.

I've not ridding bicycle on paved road in ages, but off road riding is fun, though that's been awhile now too.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #33  
The one thing to remember is it is sometime difficult to see cars behind you and even hear them on a bike. I always right to the far right and try and watch my mirrors but often bike mirrors are not ideal - it is nothing like a car mirror. Also on a road bike you are watching the road FAR closer than any other vehicle. You have a tire that is maybe ¾ of an inch wide - a good crack, pothole, or even leaves can cause a major issue or crash. My road bike tires make riding a motorcycle on the road feel like im in a monster truck.
Add to everything else that with a helmet on you have a LOT of wind noise if you are going at a decent clip. Today I did a ride and on the flats run at 15-18mph - that makes a LOT of wind noise. Plus on top of the wind noise you have some mechanical noise of the bike and sometimes you dont hear quieter cars approaching from behind.
This is why people do need to give bikes some space and pay attention.
That why I ride my MTB on the road. Going 10-13mph on a knobby MTB is the same workout as 15-18 on a skinny tire road bike. And I can pop wheelies if I want🙂

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #34  
I used to ride the road a lot...exercise, to work, school, play, etc. Then came "smartphones" and "in dash infotainment" systems. That's the end of my road biking. Doesn't matter what the law is at this point with so many distracted drivers. If you still insist on the risk you should at least use hi-vis clothing, bright flashing front and back lights even in full daylight. ...and good luck :(
agree..add your comments to outdated narrow infrastructure roads w/more traffic volume, plus all the power & distracting creature comforts of vehicles today contributes to dangerous rider safety. watch out for those long extending mirrors on the monstrous pickups too. (hard to do when it's behind you :-(

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #35  
I would never ride bikes recrationally on paved roads nor would i alow minors to.
might as well say stop running on the road while your at it. Cycling is one of the few exercises one can do well into old age. Exercise is vital to good health and long life. I've been cycling on the road for close to 30 years. This year I have logged in 8,800 miles. if motorist would just think about cyclist differently when they approach...rather than looking at us like a stick in the road or annoying impediment that might slow you down a few seconds, think this way...hey there's a father, and/or a husband on a bike...let me slow down and give him some room. oh, and if you don't know what it's like to have a car wiz closely by at 30-40mph ask you wife to do it to you while you ride.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #36  
if you're really into road riding and want to be a bit safer, they make a radar / tail light for bikes. it bluetooths to your Garmin computer. you can see cars coming up behind you as dots on your Garmin. it will beep and give all clear when traffic clears. it's not cheap - look it up if interested.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #37  
I recently got into biking again in my retirement. I’ve ridden a little over a 1000 miles in the last 4 months. Most of this has been on rural paved roads near my house. It seems like once a week someone does something stupid around me, usually passing where they shouldn’t be. Someone went through and compiled a GIS type format on bike deaths for last year. Usually several hundred die every year, and 25% are the hit and run variety. This is just the deaths that could be found from news sources, there are probably more.

I tend to ride on low traffic roads and stay as far to the right as possible but a lot of states have a law that gives the bike the right to the entire traffic lane. Most people are pretty good about being safe but not everyone. I see lots of signs about seeing motorcycles and farm tractors, don’t forget bicycles also.
My wife and I just bought new mountain bikes. We live in a rural area and I briefly though about riding on some of the low traffic rural roads but thought better of it. We will just haul our bikes to specific bike trails around the county each week.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #38  
Just for the folks who like statistics. Per mile, you are much more likly to be ridng your bike and have an accident that puts you in a ER while on a bike trail, than on a road. Good figure!

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #39  
Just for the folks who like statistics. Per mile, you are much more likly to be ridng your bike and have an accident that puts you in a ER while on a bike trail, than on a road. Good figure!
That statistic is more for hard core trail riders who ride fast and like to make jumps. Doubt its for the light duty rider.

/ Watch out for bicycles too.
I added a rear view mirror right after I got my bike. The wind noise can block sounds.

I read an article, I don’t know if I buy it, saying the flashing lights on the back of a bike aren’t safer. The talked about the “moth affect” that might actually make people drive towards it.