Washing Machine

/ Washing Machine #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
I recall the thread on dishwashers, lets talk washing machines. I have possibly a 26-30 year old GE top loader that has just about died and no interest in working on it. I'm sticking with a top loader because water is plentiful around here. Looking at new GE reviews they are not impressive. In person they seem a tad cheap. It's been said $peed Queen makes a good old fashioned machine but have also seen numerous reviews of problems with them. Most are sold in mom and pop stores which is not a bad thing. I want basic controls. In my eyes I'm washing clothes not launching the space shuttle. I may go to a local mom and pop store today. I did eye up a Roper (made by Whirlpool) that was more in my budget. Not many used machines in the area at the moment or they want too much money for a year old machine. I want a center agitator. One complaint I see across many brands is the water sensing fill. Many do not have a load size knob like my current machine.

I got stuck working on washers and dryers during a stint in the Navy (Scotland). Often we just swapped them out in base housing. We had GE's and Whirlpools along with an assortment of British made front loaders for off base housing. The base housing was US style and wiring but still was 50hz. The machines had 50hz timers in them. I hated working on the front loaders. Back then I noticed the GE units had less problems than the Whirpool.

/ Washing Machine #2  
We have Speedqueen washer and dryer. Commercial models. Maybe 8 years old now? Can't complain. As I recall, ours was the last non-electronic (no brain) models they made. Mechanical knobs. No LEDs or touch screens. It has an ECO mode, but you don't have to use it. That thing can use up to 22 gallon in the wash, 22 gallons in the rinse, and 22 gallons in the 2nd rinse if you let it. We've found the 2nd rinse is not necessary, and it's very easy on soap, too. No complaints.

/ Washing Machine #3  
I have a GE washer. Built poorly. Had to replace the inverter already (about 3 years in) and can't replace the inverter without replacing the motor which it is attached to. So over $200 and dealing with the GE warehouse and their silliness as they kept telling me out of stock, because they kept listing the wrong warehouse on the invoice.
I looked up the inverter board itself on Alibaba and it was $7 in quantity. So not surprised it failed. Front loader, lots of electronics for speed control and cycle.
No more GE for me. Old whirlpool top loader in garage as backup, 20 odd years old, clock time for control - works like new

/ Washing Machine #4  
Going on 10 years with current Kenmore top loader extra capacity washer. All manual controls..No complaints.

/ Washing Machine
I have a GE washer. Built poorly. <snip>
the negative reviews have really scared me away. Too bad as their old machines were built solid and mine has lasted me a long time with no breakdowns until recently. The old Whirpools we also worked on had this wig-wag thing on the bottom that provided the back-forth agitation. That's what usually failed.

/ Washing Machine #6  
Roughly 10 year old Kenmore top loader here too. Once in a while we'll do a load where a bunch of lint or some sort of crud is on a few items, but that might just be my wife overloading it. No pattern to it. When we bought it we also wanted one without all the fancy electronic stuff, but like most other appliances even the most basic ones were that way...ours has a rotary mode selector, but it's all electronic. No problems so far.
I don't mind the auto load sensing, actually it's kind of nice.

Dunno how much water it uses, but I doubt it's anywhere near the 22 x 2 or 3 that Moss's washer uses.

With Sears gone I don't know if the Kenmore brand survives, but these days there are only a handful of actual manufacturers of appliances.

/ Washing Machine
Roughly 10 year old Kenmore top loader here too. Once in a while we'll do a load where a bunch of lint or some sort of crud is on a few items, but that might just be my wife overloading it. No pattern to it. When we bought it we also wanted one without all the fancy electronic stuff, but like most other appliances even the most basic ones were that way...ours has a rotary mode selector, but it's all electronic. No problems so far.
I don't mind the auto load sensing, actually it's kind of nice.

Dunno how much water it uses, but I doubt it's anywhere near the 22 x 2 or 3 that Moss's washer uses.

With Sears gone I don't know if the Kenmore brand survives, but these days there are only a handful of actual manufacturers of appliances.

Back in the mid 80's Whirlpool made Kenmore washers. Same part numbers just a different badge or slight change in cosmetics.

/ Washing Machine #8  
We used to have Fisher and Paykel exclusively once but the large agitator was a pain. We eventually went for the LG with the low profile agitator in the bottom. It has been trouble free for 7 years now and cleans really well. It has a glass top so you can see whats happening. The only quirk is the 2 silly little filters that need cleaning every 3 - 4 washes. It does have a brain but I quite like the Fuzzy wash mode and there is a selection of washes to pick from. Like anything, once you master it, it becomes easy. I don't like recommending any appliances nowadays as I have been caught by others recommendations. (namely microwaves) You just have to be lucky with any appliance purchase nowadays.
Our Dishwasher died a year or so ago and I was at a loss as to what to replace it with as most available appliances are now made in China. I eventually went for a Italian built Ariston and am pleasantly surprised by the way it cleans. Much better than the last one.
Maytag was the washing machine 'brand' once however I have heard that they have lots of problems now too.
It is really a matter of pot luck nowadays.

/ Washing Machine #9  
Our Kenmore is only 8 years old and is a top loader. Before it, we had a slightly smaller Maytag front loader. It died almost immediately after the warranty died and the repairman we called said he could fix it, but it would be cheaper to just buy a new machine.

/ Washing Machine #10  
I have a GE high efficiency washer dryer, at least once a year some unnecessary part stops working and gives an error code on the computer. The cloths generally stink.

Next time we move weee getting a Speed Queen set. No computers, or electronics really, top loader. I look forward to it.