warning buzzer/light for temp and oil

/ warning buzzer/light for temp and oil #1  

Chooglin

Gold Member
Tractor
Bolens 1468 - MF GC2310
I have an idea that is churning in my head.I am thinking about mounting a buzzer and light in a small panel,then mount it, possibly on the rops.
this will be wired from the indicator lights on the dash,to the buzzer and light on my panel.
This would allow me to be aware of any oil pressure or water temp issues,while running the backhoe.being that I dont want to be looking back at the dash,to check for any potentional trouble.............any thoughts on this?

I am looking at these buzzers and lights.they appear to be of good quality and the buzzers have several options.

Products & Services - Floyd Bell, Inc.

Joe

/ warning buzzer/light for temp and oil #2  
Lets get to the end of the story and mount a single buzzer on the rops as you have thought. This will be the universal ( hey stupid something is wrong ). It looks like you want to monitor engine oil pressure and engine water temperature. I am guessing you have indicator lights on the dash for high temperatures if you parallel from the bulbs you can run a single wire to the buzzer. The buzzer should be of a low power consumaption because I do not know the power output of the signal that turns the warning lights on.
The key to this is the KISS principle ( Keep it simple stupid ).
Craig Clayton

/ warning buzzer/light for temp and oil #3  
......if you parallel from the bulbs you can run a single wire to the buzzer
Put a diode in each line from the indicator bulb to the buzzer. If you don't you'll know when you have a problem but you won't know which it is, heat or oil as they'll both be lit, onw will backfeed the other....Mike

/ warning buzzer/light for temp and oil
ok after thinking about it,what I am going to do is,put just a buzzer/buzzers under the dash,near the indicator lights.
All I need is something to warn me,then I can turn around and look at the indicator lights on the dash to let me know wich one is the problem.

so,is it possible to wire one buzzer into both indicator lights on the dash,or should I use 2 buzzers,one for each?

this is the operating current on the buzzer: 10Ma at 5Vdc & 50Ma at 15Vdc ,so I figure it will be roughly 40Ma at 12Vdc.
do you feel this would be ok or to much current?

thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited:
   / warning buzzer/light for temp and oil #5  
Put a diode in each line from the indicator bulb to the buzzer. If you don't you'll know when you have a problem but you won't know which it is, heat or oil as they'll both be lit, onw will backfeed the other....Mike

diode inline AND use a relay.

that way all lamps won't light at once, and there will be low current needed to pull the coil in to activate the buzzer.

soundguy

/ warning buzzer/light for temp and oil #6  
Your 15 VDC buzzer will be almost 40Ma because the charging and running voltage will be 14.5 VDC on a operating tractor. The diodes are a good idea to prevent back feed, because I was not sure of the skill of where the project could go.
Seeing we have a large pool of talent how about we use a vibrating coil contact powering a ignition coil with a trace wire on the seat.
In that way he will forget all about the buzzer.

Craig Clayton

/ warning buzzer/light for temp and oil #7  
I use a FIRE ALARM bell on our mower tractor to warn of low oil pressure and other issues that way even if the operator is half asleap the loud bell will wake the dead. I am going to add on the fuel level to.
The bell is 1.5A at 12v dc controlled by a relay. Check with a fire alarm company for the LOUD bell.

/ warning buzzer/light for temp and oil #8  
ratschack has a big selection of peizo alarms that are quite high SPL..

soundguy

/ warning buzzer/light for temp and oil
ratschack has a big selection of peizo alarms that are quite high SPL..

soundguy

I seen those,I think I mite go with one of those..........thanks again.

/ warning buzzer/light for temp and oil #10  
Just remember this thing is going to go off every time you turn the key on to start it. Just keep that in mind before you hook the air horns up to it.