Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it!

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #121  
Sometimes you can slab off for a 24” square or cant if not too much flare.

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #122  
I'd be loading that onto a trailer and hauling it to the local log yard. There's no way I'd wrestle that thing around.
I've milled bigger ones than that, you get a bunch of lumber out of them!

SR

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #123  
I've milled bigger ones than that, you get a bunch of lumber out of them!

SR
No doubt. You also have a better mill, equipment suitable for the task, considerably more experience, and often have younger muscle to help with the heavy lifting.

I just do it as a hobby, and am still a novice. That log can produce a much more valuable product at a commercial hardwood mill.

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #124  
The real work is turning big logs, and my winch makes easy work of that, and I rarely have help when I'm milling.

IMG-1131-S.jpg

Anyone could build one for their own mill...

BTW, I wasn't implying that I have a better mill or that I know any more than you or anyone else here, I was just saying that I've done quite a few big logs, and they are just time consuming on a smaller mill.

SR

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #125  
BTW, I wasn't implying that I have a better mill or that I know any more than you or anyone else here,
I wasn't either... I know what you have and what I've got. ;)

Happy New Year!

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #126  
Small mill part time operator I’ve sold some large logs to, sells thick, sometimes one live edge mantles to a lucrative market. Black walnut, white oak and red cedar are best sellers.

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #127  
We have cheap harbor freight mill. Worked great for it intended purposes for the last 8 years or so. Went out today to run and the small predator engine was locked up. Oh well, 1 more thing to add to my honey do list

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #128  
We have cheap harbor freight mill. Worked great for it intended purposes for the last 8 years or so. Went out today to run and the small predator engine was locked up. Oh well, 1 more thing to add to my honey do list
At least you can run down to Harbor Freight and buy another, and it shouldn't be that difficult to switch over.

Is there any chance you got moisture in the engine, and a ring just got a little rust spot? Sometimes a little Marvel Mystery Oil or transmission fluid will loosen those right up.

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #129  
I'm hoping. Went out today to fire up log splitter and mill since hunting season is done and I can make noise.

I'll go back this weekend and pull the sparkplug and see what I can do

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #130  
Is it still scheduled to be delivered tomorrow?