Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it!

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #201  
I don't have a log deck on my mill, and I do just fine. I actually don't see the need for one, unless you are milling, pounding out logs every day.

I like to use the pallet forks to bring logs to the mill and load them. Then use the forks to take away slabs, cut them for firewood, and then take the lumber where it will be stickered.

It's so much easier to keep all the lumber and waste away from the mill as you go along.

SR

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it!
This is from the Woodland Mills FB group and may solve your issue.

I saw that, that is to roll the logs. Not what I need. But thanks for posting, I could see that getting useful as I age. Hopefully, by then I have a hydraulic mill.

I don't have a log deck on my mill, and I do just fine. I actually don't see the need for one, unless you are milling, pounding out logs every day.

I like to use the pallet forks to bring logs to the mill and load them. Then use the forks to take away slabs, cut them for firewood, and then take the lumber where it will be stickered.

It's so much easier to keep all the lumber and waste away from the mill as you go along.

SR
I know that using the tractor is an option. But I feel like the log deck will be more efficient once I get my system dialed in. I am not saying what you do it wrong, just saying I want to try something different.

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #204  
I saw that, that is to roll the logs. Not what I need. But thanks for posting, I could see that getting useful as I age. Hopefully, by then I have a hydraulic mill.
It's setup to roll and move logs forward or back along the track like you asked.

It's setup to roll and move logs forward or back along the track like you asked.
I didn't watch the video. I saw one like that that just rolled the logs. Regardless, not building one at this moment.

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #206  
I have wanted a mill for a long time.
fyi I am building a cedar fence on the side of my residence. About 125 ft total, I am going about as high end / nicest fence as I can. Trying to create a spectacular look if that can be done in a wood fence. Using cedar milled on my manual sawmill.

Shopping around for fence designs, I saw some beautiful cedar fencing (not planks, more like 2 x 2). I priced out just the material alone and it was well over $10,000.

My friend pointed out just the cost of the wood for this project alone exceeds what I paid for the sawmill ($6,000).

Last edited: