wallenstein logging winches

/ wallenstein logging winches #1  

Hoobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota mx5100 Ford 641
Does anyone have experience with Wallenstein logging winches? I have a 50 hp Kubota and am looking to buy

/ wallenstein logging winches #2  
I'm happy with my FX90,

standard.jpg

I've pulled out a lot of logs with it,

standard.jpg

SR

/ wallenstein logging winches #3  
Rob - - in your two posted pics here. Roughly how far behind the big backing plate on the winch are the logs being towed. Sorry - I'm not familiar with "logging winch terminology".

Also - top pic - looks like one or both of the logs are no longer being pulled with a winch line. Do you switch over to chain once the logs are out onto an established trail?

Thank for the time and answers, Rob.

/ wallenstein logging winches
thanks. Looks like a good load. Wallenstein is a reputable name?

/ wallenstein logging winches #5  
I've got the FX65. One of the most used implements I ever bought. Was great for clearing a forest of 12" x 60' pine trees 4 to 8 logs at a time. There's been a few times with big firewood trees that I wished I'd bought the next size bigger, but it's done everything I've asked, even if I've had to use a pulley to double the pulling force. I've got the clutch cranked down pretty good, so it's probably a 7000 lb winch.
Not just for logs. I use it a lot to "persuade" trees to fall in the direction I want (As a Plan B / safety backup). And if say a "friend" were to hang up a tree in another, it the safest way to pull them apart from a distance. I used it to pull bushes out of the yard from a 100' away without driving over and spinning up the lawn. To pull vehicles up on trailers. To pull....well....really anything and everything when you need to "reach out and touch someone". One of those "once you got one, how did you ever live without" tools.

Whether one unhooks logs from cable and re-hooks to tow plate depends on a lot of factors. How heavy is log(s) (do you want log to continue tightening cable on reel? And rely on brake to hold/take all that force?) How high do you want to get butt off ground? Are you pulling load from pulley above rear axle (wheelie danger)? Do you want to spend time re-hooking? How many logs are you trying to pull (choker chains getting messy/intertwined, etc..)?

With the little pines I'd sometimes put 4 logs on the tow plate them pull 4 more from the cable.

/ wallenstein logging winches #7  
I've pulled some big sticks with my winch,

standard.jpg

As to pull them in close or not, depends on many things, but "generally" for me, it depends on how straight my pulls are. It it's a pretty straight trail to the landing, I winch them in close to keep one end higher, if there's lots of turns, then I leave them out a bit to make turning easier.

My winch has an absolutely positive ratchet brake, (which I much prefer it over a band brake) and you can pull from the winch line or not, it's just what works easier for me with that turn.

standard.jpg

I think buying a winch a little bigger than you "think" you will need is a good idea...

SR

/ wallenstein logging winches #8  
Thanks Rob & Coby. Those are some big logs........

/ wallenstein logging winches #9  
If a log is pulled in tight against the relatively sharp dozer blade so it is bound and can't swing besides acting like a stiff rudder making it hard to steer, as Rob points out, also if you are on hilly or rough terrain and go over a sharp rise when the front end of the tractor drops down over the rise the back end of the log tries to lift or become cantilevered off of the dozer blade and chain. This will lighten the front end of the tractor very quickly, put tremendous tension on the chain and winch bar chain slot or cable, and try to, or even succeed in, pushing in the dozer blade so it has a concave shape. This can also happen when you rise the winch. As the winch lifts it generally rolls back because the top link is at an angle. As it rolls back if the dozer blade digs into the butt end of the log and the chain is tight the log will become cantilevered. I run a hydraulic top link so that I can lengthen it to relieve the bind if this occurs when I lift a hitch.

If you look at used winches many will have deformed chain slots and pushed in dozer blades because hitches were pulled in and bound to tight.

gg

Last edited:
   / wallenstein logging winches #10  
The Wallenstein's have a protective cage, which I think is an option (?) on other models.
I would be hesitant to use any model without one. Especially if you ever pull anything from the tractors seat with the cable extended. Not so much when pulling logs with short cable runs, or when standing off to the side, but when I've pulled over a trees (and roots) or a hung up tree from a distance by driving instead of winching.
If you've ever seen a cable turn into a slingshot you want one too.