Wain Roy 450

/ Wain Roy 450 #11  
When I worked for Mr Choo Choo we used straight
10w oil for the hydraulic systems. The equipment
had leaks and we had to fill up every day before we
could start work.

willy

/ Wain Roy 450
No need for more pictures. The parts are pretty common. The front axle may be a Dana 44 or 60 axle from some of the research I have done.

I like the story and what you have done. Let us know how we can help. This is a great story
The machine is 2 wheel drive.
I have never seen a front axle that is mounted on a center pivot like this one. I will look for some identifying markings on it next time I crawl under it.
Thank you for all of your help.

/ Wain Roy 450
When I worked for Mr Choo Choo we used straight
10w oil for the hydraulic systems. The equipment
had leaks and we had to fill up every day before we
could start work.

willy
Hydraulic oil is expensive, and I have grown tired of the machine "marking its territory" everywhere it's been.

/ Wain Roy 450 #14  
That is a worthy project, nice find. After reading this thread I will obtain the book referenced and get my facts straight before I say something inaccurate.
I am a friend of Brian Handy and I believe I was in possession of the first WR hoe for a while. I'll read the book, visit Brian and post a little follow-up history.

/ Wain Roy 450 #15  
Old machines like that, as long as you can make replacement parts, or find them within a reasonable amount of time, are still great work horses. Better than to have it and wish it was a newer machine than to not have one.

/ Wain Roy 450 #17  
That is a great looking machine you have preserved there. Beautiful job on the exhaust manifold!

/ Wain Roy 450 #18  
Yeah, nice fab work on that exhaust. Very cool machine!!

In my personal opinion you can post all the pics you want of that thing, its parts etc. Im sure anyone else out there who may have one or be looking at one, could find some use of whatever information we accumulate in threads like this.

Last edited:
   / Wain Roy 450 #19  
Thanks to the OP for sharing info/pictures of your “Old Hoe” I really like it. I watch locally for a decent used backhoe but price or condition has kept me out of the market. I have several large stumps I need to remove for a future shop. I’d like to have before I get to old To build/enjoy it.

Mike

/ Wain Roy 450 #20  
Oh My gosh !!!
Thank you so very much for your quick response !!!
As of yet, I do not need any parts yet, but the valves for the front bucket and back hoe are going to need rebuilding.
Seems like I am always chasing a hydraulic leak here or there !!!
From a crack in the frame, (which is the hydraulic oil reservoir), to blown hoses, to a leaking "O" ring on the PS pump, etc, etc.
I have over the past few years rebuilt several of the hydraulic cylinders. The larger ones being difficult because of size/weight.
I have made 5 spanner wrenches to fit the different rings/nuts on the various cylinders, spent countless hours at the metal lathe making pins, parts, etc.
When I first bought the machine, the exhaust manifold was 1/2 gone, and did not have a muffler.
So, not knowing what engine it was, and not knowing where to even start looking for parts,
I fabricated a manifold, and stainless steel muffler.
I fabricated a log splitter like the one that Neil Koch made in his YouTube video, and that helped split some very large pieces of firewood that his old guy could not even move. But the log splitter seemed to lack the force to split some of it, and after putting a pressure guage on the system, it showed only 1000PSI.
I do not know where the high pressure bypass valve is located to try to make the pressure higher, nor do I know what is the correct hydraulic oil this machine is supposed to use. Some fellas have told me that they used motor oil??
I have been using a standard hydraulic oil which seems to be around 15 weight/viscosity.
You a correct about the Funk-o-matic trans and 4 speed gear box, and the ford parts.
I needed a master brake cylinder, tie rod ends and front wheel brake cylinders, and yes, they were all Ford.
In one of Neil Koch's YouTube videos, he mentioned that book on Wain Roy, and I bought it, read it twice.
For the longest time, I thought that the machine was made around 500BC, but the book got it at around 1967.
I got in touch with the Fitchburg Historical Society and Library.
They had a little bit of info but not much.
I also wrote a letter to Antique Power Magazines editor and sent a couple of photos back in July of 2004, and received a lot of letters from guys that worked at the Fitchburg plant building these machines.
I have had some people tell me that Wain Roy never made a tractor, but only attachments.
I appreciate your response and the information you have provided. Thank you so very, very much !!!
Photos enclosed....
That exhaust manifold looks like it was done professionally. Great workmanship!