Ventrac

/ Ventrac #1  

Randy Hoop

Tractor
Ventrac 4000
I have a Ventrac 4000 and having steering problems when running I have to crank the steering wheel mulitable times to get it to turn then it will straighten it's self out without turning the wheel just moving. and when not running I can just keep turning the wheel where before the wheel would not turn at all. Can someone tell me my problem please? I'm afraid to mow my hill like that.

/ Ventrac #2  
Hey Randy, Welcome to the forum!

Since the steering on all of the 4000 series models are completely hydraulic, the first place I would check is the hydraulic fluid level under the hood. If low, I would only add Ventrac hydraulic fluid to the reservoir.

Next I would take a close look at the steering cylinder as well as the pivot area to make sure nothing is visibly damaged. Make sure the big thick steel plate "dog bone" under the central pivot isn't bent.

If everything looks good up to this point, I would replace the hydraulic filters to see if you get an improvement.

I am curious what position the Neutral Assist Lever is in and also the position of the High/Low Lever.

/ Ventrac
I will Get the book that came with the tractor and will try to find these things and will report my findings thank you for the post!!!

/ Ventrac #4  
If you can't find the manual for it, they can be downloaded at Ventrac.

Let us know!

/ Ventrac
full of oil filters changed last year didn't see anything broke. Semes that something is letting oil bypass. I can straighten the tractor on the move not turn the steering wheel and it will veer off to the right turn the wheel back to the left and straighten the tractor not move the steering wheel and it will veer off to the right again.

/ Ventrac #7  
Seems like something is dragging the tractor to the right.

You mentioned mowing. The earlier "Tough-Cut" mower deck has a jack stand. If this is on your mower, you should check to make sure the stand is in the "up" position. If it is down, it could be dragging the ventrac off to one side.

Also check the tire pressures. This can really be tough to do because of the very low tire pressure. I had to buy a special "low pressure" tire gauge.

If you are on hills, the High/Low lever needs to be in the "Low" setting.