Ventrac- power decreasing, noise increasing???

/ Ventrac- power decreasing, noise increasing??? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
Last fall I noticed it seemed a bit more noisy when I used power steering left or right on my Ventrac 4500Y. Didn't use it over winter.

This spring, the noise increased. Then I had slowly decreasing power while mowing. I did a test with keeping blades engaged, turning, and lifting the deck all at once. Sluggish. I shut it down.

The manual suggested a restricted hydraulic filter could cause this. The first suggested change is 100 hours, which is exactly where I am at. I just now changed both hydraulic filters with new-- presto-- Ventrac runs like new and purrs like a kitten. Even the power steering noise I noticed last fall is gone.

Should these hydraulic filters start causing restrictions at only 100 hours? Or should I be looking at something else which might have caused this?

/ Ventrac- power decreasing, noise increasing??? #3  
Is it possible that you were low on hydraulic fluid before the filter change? I noticed I was a little bit low on hydraulic fluid at about the 70 hour mark.

/ Ventrac- power decreasing, noise increasing??? #4  
Cutting the filters, especially the 10micron one could prove interesting, but messy. Take great care to not introduce dust, drit, grime, chaff, etc. into the system. Always wide the various quick coupler male fittings and use clean shop towel twisted to clean the female part of coupler. Use a tooth brush or parts brush to clean the female coupler protectors before replacing them and do use them. Old implements with cruddy fluid can contaminate the new system, but what's a mother to do???

/ Ventrac- power decreasing, noise increasing???
Is it possible that you were low on hydraulic fluid before the filter change? I noticed I was a little bit low on hydraulic fluid at about the 70 hour mark.
Good suggestion, but I checked that and it was OK.

Cutting the filters, especially the 10micron one could prove interesting, but messy.
Do you have any suggestion about how to open up the filter? I thought of cutting it with a hack saw or sawzall, but was worried I would be "creating" metal particles. They are both spin-on filters.

/ Ventrac- power decreasing, noise increasing??? #7  
If you really want to get serious about cutting oil filters, you can buy an oil filter cutting tool like this: JEGS Oil Filter Cutting Tool.

I usually use a Dremel cutting disc (and make a mess).

• Good Post
Reactions: prs
   / Ventrac- power decreasing, noise increasing??? #8  
Pipe cutter...... jim

• Good Post
Reactions: prs
   / Ventrac- power decreasing, noise increasing??? #9  
If you really want to get serious about cutting oil filters, you can buy an oil filter cutting tool like this: JEGS Oil Filter Cutting Tool.

I usually use a Dremel cutting disc (and make a mess).
Your putting grit and metal in the filter that you are looking for........ pipe cutter or that one JEGS sales..... jim

I don't have a pipe cutter that large.

Probably a messy job, but I could probably get one apart with a pair of side cutters and tin snips.

If there is metal in the filter, is it usually quite obvious to see?