Vehicles that require premium gas

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #41  
When you make a vague statement such as this, it can confuse people, and continue propagating the nuts about octane. Perhaps next time don't be so vague, and include the facts that your vehicle's required premium fuel.

Running fuel that is several octane points less than required.. yea I can see that as being more expensive to drive.

If your vehicle's only required 87, and you still claim cheaper to use 40% more expensive Premium fuel, I'd call BS all day long
I agree, running more than necessary does nothing but cost you money.

My 2012 Eco Boost gets exactly the same running 87 or 93.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #42  
I know better because BMW, but....
No... the factory team at the delivery center emphasized using only premium fuel to obtain full performance...

I asked what happens if I can't buy premium and was told the engine management will compensate which will be very noticeable.//
No, German HP ratings are higher because their HP are smaller, as previously mentioned.

EU uses a different method for measuring octane but the fuel is not "better." EU 95 octane = US 91 octane and EU 98 octane = US 93 octane.

Don't know about your BMW but on our Nissan they stated precisely what the peak HP difference was: 5hp. 2%. Presumably on a turbocharged engine that will develop a lot of boost, the losses would be larger. My WRX has peak boost of 18, maybe I'll put some Regular in it next Spring and see what happens.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #43  
I have always said that buying more octane than what your engine needs to perform is a waste. If your OEM says 87 then run 87 because you wont get any better (maybe even worse) using a higher octane rating.

I don't own nor would I ever buy a vehicle that requires premium fuel. I don't ever want a high performance sports car(couldn't get in and out of one if I wanted one) and there is ABSOLUTELY no need to have an engine in a family car that requires premium fuel.

For those of you who like to spend several dollars per tankful more on premium, go for it. As the old rip off ad says, "It's your money, use it like you want to".

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #44  
There are examples of a engine spec'd for 87 has issues unless a higher octane fuel is used. But more often than not, that is because of carbon build up that has increased overall compression in the chamber and 87 doesn't have enough octane to overcome the knock from that situation. A good de-carbon of things would usually solve the problem.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #45  
I know better because BMW, but....
No, German HP ratings are higher because their HP are smaller, as previously mentioned.

EU uses a different method for measuring octane but the fuel is not "better." EU 95 octane = US 91 octane and EU 98 octane = US 93 octane.

Don't know about your BMW but on our Nissan they stated precisely what the peak HP difference was: 5hp. 2%. Presumably on a turbocharged engine that will develop a lot of boost, the losses would be larger. My WRX has peak boost of 18, maybe I'll put some Regular in it next Spring and see what happens.

EU 98 octane = US 93 octane simply is not available in California... and has not been for years outside of boosting yourself or buying in drums for track use.

This was my point... 91 is the best I can buy here.

I ordered my BMW for European Delivery for year model 2002 and this was around the time fuel octane was lowered in California and BMW in Europe made a point to mention it to me...

No more 92: Premium octane rating drops in California | Autoweek

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #46  
I have always said that buying more octane than what your engine needs to perform is a waste. If your OEM says 87 then run 87 because you wont get any better (maybe even worse) using a higher octane rating.

I don't own nor would I ever buy a vehicle that requires premium fuel. I don't ever want a high performance sports car(couldn't get in and out of one if I wanted one) and there is ABSOLUTELY no need to have an engine in a family car that requires premium fuel.

For those of you who like to spend several dollars per tankful more on premium, go for it. As the old rip off ad says, "It's your money, use it like you want to".

LOL I have a supercharger on my pickup and the turbo is on our Subaru Forester. Neither one are exactly what you'd call a sports car. Forced induction is also a big benefit at altitude as you get sea level performace at altitude. I always compare it to adding a couple of extra cylinders to your engine. It makes a six banger perform like an eight and a four popper run like a six. I have the supercharger on the truck because I wanted added power and torque down low while a car usually does a little better with a turbo at higher RPM.

There are also safety factors involved in having enough power on tap to get yourself out of a situation too. Sure it costs me a little more at the pump but I'd rather have something happen when I mash the go pedal that being stuck like a deer in headlights when the crap hits the fan. IMHO all these econo boxes that can't pull a sick ***** out of bed or have enough power to get out of their own way are mostly just traffic hazards clogging our roadways.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #47  
Any modern engine with a knock sensor will benefit from running higher octane gas.

The question becomes whether the benefit is worth the extra cost. Right now there seems to be a big spread around here between 87 and 91 octane.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #48  
Yesterday I noted $2.69 reg, $2.79 mid and $2.89 premium in the SF Bay Area...

While significant the spread doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #49  

The spread in Ohio is now 50 to 75 cents difference.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #50  

Let's not go there. The brain washed lefties in this state seem to be proud of how much we have to pay for stuff. The more we pay, the better it is while the oil and gas industry is more than happy to accommodate. Mumms the word.