Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #51  
   / Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #52  
I have 3 sets of tires with those sensors over 10 years old with no problems.
I never had any problems with mine either.
The tires and TPMS were 16 years old with 58K miles on them so they all got replaced with the new tires.

Also, the truck was bought new after I retired and it lived in a heated garage. Maybe that explains how they lasted so long.

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #53  
I'm thinking it was before those had been dreampt up.
I not so fondly remember those smog pump days with all the hoses and engines that liked to 'diesel' for a couple minutes after you shut them off..

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors
Update

Just had independent shop use scanner on my 2011 Corolla to tell me one no signal, one good and two sensors low battery.

The one with no signal is the wheel with the flat last week and one of the two I was charged for sensor rebuild kit.

The independent only uses OEM and quoted $470 to change all 4 with mounted, balance and programming.

Don’t have sensors on any other vehicle so for now I will simply ignore the amber light.

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #55  
Update

Just had independent shop use scanner on my 2011 Corolla to tell me one no signal, one good and two sensors low battery.

The one with no signal is the wheel with the flat last week and one of the two I was charged for sensor rebuild kit.

The independent only uses OEM and quoted $470 to change all 4 with mounted, balance and programming.

Don’t have sensors on any other vehicle so for now I will simply ignore the amber light.

Toyota IS proud of their sensors. A few months ago I got a spare set of OEM wheels for my 4Runner - older rims someone had taken off their rig. No sensors in them so I bought a set of 4 OEM sensors from an on-line Toyota dealer whose prices were a bit cheaper than others I'd seen. Total for 4 sensors was $368 - over twice what I paid for 4 sensors for my F150 a couple years ago. There are aftermarket sensors available that will work with the Toyota TPMS system...but from what I saw on the Toyota forums, they don't last nearly as long as OEM.

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #56  
The 2011 Toyota Tire Pressure Sensor illuminated on the dash and sure enough I found a nail in the tread.

Took it back to Goodyear and agreed to buy 2 new tires and Pressure Sensor “Kits” plus their expensive mount and balance… I declined the $30 each tire road hazard.

Went to pick up and light still illuminated and was told to drive it 20 miles which I did and light still on… checked air pressure on all 5 tires and spot on so returned to Goodyear same day and they did a reset and drove home…

Next day driving and it came back on and called and told to bring it in and on my way.

Told I would have to leave it as they were real busy and they would try to get to it.

Well they didn’t and I picked it up.

Tempted to just check air pressure manually each Saturday and not waste anymore time after I learned they would have to charge me $80 each to replace if determined to defective.
I've been driving my Tacoma with the "horse shoe" light for at least three years. I check them from time to time, just like I did for forty years before I got a car with TPS.

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors
I'm always doing visuals but once a month actually check...

My commute is less than 5 miles each way with lots of little road hazards along the way.

Got a gallon size container at work and over the years almost filled it with screws/nails I've picked up in the Hospital parking lot...

The 2011 just hit 80k miles last week.

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #58  
I've been driving my Tacoma with the "horse shoe" light for at least three years. I check them from time to time, just like I did for forty years before I got a car with TPS.
Years ago, we had a planned vacation and we had the car checked and new tires installed. Got about 1.5 hours into the trip and the low pressure light turn on. :eek: Happened to be in a small town so I pulled into a parking lot and checked the tires. All tire had the right pressure. We drove on and I would check the tires when we stopped for a break or gas...

That idiot light has been burning through several sets of new tires since then. We just ignore the light.

I dread having to get a "new" car with all of these features that are expensive to buy and even more expensive to fix. I suspect many of the vehicles being sold now a days, will at some point, be considered junk because so many features no longer work and are too expensive to fix. I think that is really going to happen to hybrid or electric cars whose battery life has decreased...

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #59  
we continue to have these things mandated, and we are the ones that pay for the ignorance.
I'm sorry, I grew up in a time when you actually checked your tires. Not leave it to a little light bulb.
Amazing I survived driving back in the day, without having these safety devices that are mandated these days