Vapor barrier under cabin

/ Vapor barrier under cabin #1  

rickyb01

Silver Member
Tractor
1976 Deutz 3006 1962 John Deere 1010
I built a 480 sq foot cabin back in 2008 on some family land. I never had it underpinned, would just winterize it in the winter. Last year my wife and I moved in it and this year we added another 500sq foot room. The insurance company is wanting me to underpin it. I dont have a problem with underpinning but im thinking I may need to but a vapor barrier down. Or could i remove about 25% of underpinning in the spring and close it back up in the winter. I crawl under cabin every year to spray for termites and there is no moisture problems, but it had never been closed up. Thanks Ricky

/ Vapor barrier under cabin #2  
I have a similar sized cottage on sandy (well drained) ground.
I skirted mine and insulated walls, layed vapour barrier direct on ground to minimize moisture from ground rising up and added a couple of sliding windows from lowes ($100 each) that I can slide open from outside of cottage anytime I want to let air through.
I also covered the vapour barrier with recycled (free) styrofoam pieces and placed a wireless humidity gauge to a cheap weather station and I can monitor the humidty down below.
Never had a problem with this setup in a very cold climate.

/ Vapor barrier under cabin #3  
Plastic vapor barrier is not hard to install provided the ground is smooth and doesn't puncture the plastic. If you go with a heavier plastic, will be tear resistant and can actually make it more pleasant to work underneath if you need to work on the plumbing or electric lines underneath. I installed some electric outlets and lights on a switch on the last place I owned that had a crawl space. That made it more convenient and pleasant to do any work in it.

/ Vapor barrier under cabin #4  
When we lived in Alaska we built a 20x24 log cabin on some acreage we owned. We elevated the ground/main floor on concrete filled Sono tubes. The holes for the Sono tubes were dug to a depth of six feet and filled with concrete. The main floor was 30" above the ground. The winds could blow under the cabin and keep moisture levels on an even keel. It also was no hiding place for local indigenous wildlife.

That was in 1976. The cabin still stands - straight, strong and true as ever.

Had we skirted it - ground moisture AND the local wildlife would have been major problems.

/ Vapor barrier under cabin #5  
When we lived in Alaska we built a 20x24 log cabin on some acreage we owned. We elevated the ground/main floor on concrete filled Sono tubes. The holes for the Sono tubes were dug to a depth of six feet and filled with concrete. The main floor was 30" above the ground. The winds could blow under the cabin and keep moisture levels on an even keel. It also was no hiding place for local indigenous wildlife.

That was in 1976. The cabin still stands - straight, strong and true as ever.

Had we skirted it - ground moisture AND the local wildlife would have been major problems.
Did you insulate the floor? If so, with what?

All the best, Peter

/ Vapor barrier under cabin #6  
If you insulate the floor like it should be skirting is nearly useless.

will the insurance company consider lattice "underpinning"?

/ Vapor barrier under cabin #7  
Ponytug - yes, we had 2 inch thick foam insulation sheeting under the floor boards. Seemed to work pretty well. The floors were always cool in the winter. But - Hey - this was in Alaska.

The flooring was 2x6 T&G pine. Rubber backed throw rugs were imperative at the cabin entrance. Come in with snowy boots - on a polished wood floor - you would be down on your hinney in an instant.

/ Vapor barrier under cabin
I had the whole cabin sprayed with open cell foam. I only have plumbing in one section of cabin. Im thinking of just underpinning that area. It not being underpinned has helped out on widelife staying under there. Located in south west Arkansas so doesnt get single digit cold.

/ Vapor barrier under cabin #9  
When I see the term underpinning, i'm thinking having the cabin anchored to the foundation. I don't see where a vapor barrier comes into play with the term underpinning. What does underpinning mean to your insurance company?