Valmet alternator service

/ Valmet alternator service #1  

Terragator

Tractor
Valmet Valtra A92
Do people service alternators anymore?

Possibly ruined a unit after degreasing all the crap around it, possible dirt in the windings. Mostly waterproofed when rinsing off.

Not for sure that it's not charging, haven't tested. There's a battery light on, but that may be linked with faulty temp sensor. we've got the priority Job of sorting leaking radiator and stripping pipe work ect..

I want to know if I stripped it down could I get it working again.?

Is this an antique idea nowerdays, Is the labour involved uneconomical and replacement deamed best practice?

/ Valmet alternator service #2  
I would just checking if it's indeed charging or not and then go from there.

I'm sure you can a find a shop somewhere that can rebuild alternators, starters, etc. I just had an alternator repaired from a Mitsubishi Pajero about a year ago or so. Granted it cost me more than a new one but that mostly related to that particular shop.

/ Valmet alternator service #3  
You may have slimed the brushes and rotor contacts by degreasing. Not sure what "Mostly waterproofed when rinsing" means but if you left the degreaser and grease that may have gotten into the brush area, the voltage regulator most likely is not working well. You might be able to spray some brake cleaner on the brushes and rotor if you can get to them.

As already mentioned by PTSG, check the voltage output. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. ;)