UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE

/ UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE #81  
No test drives yet. My dealer hasn't had RTVs for several weeks if not months. They got four last Wed or Thursday. Only one was in the que to get assembled .. when I was there last Friday.

I plan to talk to him tomorrow and see if they will let me test drive both.
Same as a tractor, ain't it? Gotta drive 'em. As my friend Bobby would say, "If you're gonna spend the money (AKA 'pull the trigger') you might as well get what you want." (I chose 1 yr old L-82 auto plastic Chevy over new Z-28 for ~ = $$)

/ UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE #82  
Not head snapping power by any means but noticeable verses my 2006 RTV 900.I also looked at the 850 but did not like the idea of the CVT tranny verses the hydro tranny in the 1100c.We use our RTV for snowplowing a 2 mile road and garden/farm chores around our house.Full factory enclosed cab was another must for us.A little more power in the new RTV is a win for us.Have you test drove both models yet ?? That might be the decision maker.Both models at dealers around these parts are far and few.Good luck on whatever you choose..View attachment 692213
Test driving the XG850 isn't gonna happen, unless a member here has one. Of the four RTVs that came in late last week (1 XG and 3 -900), 3 of them are already gone, leaving one -900. I'm going into the dealership right now to test drive it.

/ UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE #83  
Test driving the XG850 isn't gonna happen, unless a member here has one. Of the four RTVs that came in late last week (1 XG and 3 -900), 3 of them are already gone, leaving one -900. I'm going into the dealership right now to test drive it.
Keep us posted I believe the RTV 900 are about 4 hp less than the RTV 1100c model

/ UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE #84  
Test drove the -900, a short run around the parking lot, goosed it a couple times nothing wild or extragavent. Then went inside and ordered a XG850.

They have no idea when it will arrive.

With my luck, it's probably stuck on that canalblock in Africa/Asia. :(

/ UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE #85  
I have kubota rtv500 and 900, I don’t have enough acres to care what top speed is, both do a lot of work and I enjoy the view through my woods and across my pastures, retired and in no hurry.

/ UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE #86  
Test drove the -900, a short run around the parking lot, goosed it a couple times nothing wild or extragavent. Then went inside and ordered a XG850.

They have no idea when it will arrive.

With my luck, it's probably stuck on that canalblock in Africa/Asia. :(
Keep us updated on how you like your 850 when it arrives.(y)

/ UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE #87  
I have a 2012 Kawasaki 4010 mule , metal bed, hydraulic dump, 840 run hours. Zero repairs except routine maintenance.
not fast, but never leaves the property except to go to occasional horse shows. Don’t need the speed.

property is fairly flat though, some small hills only. Extremely quiet machine. I tried a few toy units...plastic speeders, and they were all noisy as hell.

Last edited:
   / UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE #88  
Just now changing the oil in our old '02 Mule 2510- D (diesel).
Mule is about as an appropriate name there ever could be for this old girl! Seems like its the early version of kubota's rtv, slow, cumbersome and not a show pony. Just like work boots where some are like sneakers, and others are a compromise between the two.
Get what suits your needs, our mule and gator aren't going anywhere but I'd like to try one of those "sneakers" out, but then I'd need to build another building. 😆

/ UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE #89  
I have a 2012 Kawasaki mule , metal bed, hydraulic dump, 840 run hours. Zero repairs except routine maintenance.
not fast, but never leaves the property except to go to occasional horse shows. Don’t need the speed.

property is fairly flat though, some small hills only. Extremely quiet machine. I tried a few toy units...plastic speeders, and they were all noisy as hell.
We had a 2004 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4x4 (gas engine) that was problem free after 400 hours.Sold it to my Farmer neighbor in 2006 he now has 1,900 hours on the clock.Few minor issues..

/ UTILITY VEHICLE PRICING COMPARISON & ADVICE #90  
Keep us updated on how you like your 850 when it arrives.(y)
Here it is a month and a half later and it finally arrived at the dealer last Friday. They've ordered the accessories (which are all dealer installed) and they expect them today.

*Maybe* I'll have it this week, but I'm not holding my breath.

Side question: For ordered/already sold machines, what can I expect for operating time on the machine at the time of sale? Will they use the machine for customer test drives etc or will it be set aside off limits?