Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #42  
Buying a trailer snuff to make ones head swim.🥴

Last edited:
   / Utility trailers - what should i know? #43  
I've owned 2 6x12 trailers. The first one was a single axle, made completely out of angle steel with a wood floor. Looked solid, but I couldn't believe how much it flexed and creaked with as little as 1500 lbs on it. Pulled fine, but was never really comfortable with putting much weight on it. I then found a used 6x12 tandem axle, couldn't tell you the manufacturer because it has no tags or stamps, but it is all box steel with a heavy duty fold up ramp (also a wood floor). I couldn't believe the difference between the 2. The second one is MUCH stronger and doesn't flex or creak and pulls excellent.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #44  
Like others I have more than 1 trailer because most likely no single trailer will fit ALL of your needs. However, it sounds like you need something universal within a reasonable price range. There are a lot of options but there are a few things that I would consider in your situation.

C channel frame and A-frame tongue. There are a lot of cheaper trailers out there that have angle iron frames. C channel frames and floor supports are much stronger.

15" tires. Some trailers have smaller tires that are not nearly as stable and dependable when towing larger loads as 15" or bigger tires.

Sealed LED lights. Lower end trailers still come with the cheap standard fixtures that ground out through the mounting bolts, and typically the wiring or bulb sockets will corrode and cause outages. Fixing them is sometimes like dealing with Christmas tree lights and will drive you crazy. Nothing beats sealed LED lights and plug.

Multiple stake pockets or tie down points are a must.

Drop foot Jack's are super convenient if it is an option.

Longer is better. Besides more floor space, in my experience the shorter the trailer the harder it is to steer and control when backing it up. Shorter trailers are harder to see and react very quickly to steering inputs.

In my opinion the rest is optional. Decking material, ramp style, sides vs no sides, etc all depend on the intended purpose. No matter what you go with here sometimes it will be optimal, sometimes not so much.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #45  
If I needed more than a 3500lb single axle, I’d go dual axle. In 23 years with my single axle utility, I’ve only once needed more. And then I just had a friend haul a car for me.

Single axle is so much easier to move around on the property. I take mine into the woods for logs. Easier to use on narrow trails. Easier to back up. Takes less storage space. I’ve even taken the sides off and hauled wide things.
And I find the tires last much longer?

Last edited:
   / Utility trailers - what should i know? #46  
Also, consider ordering a trailer in any other color than black. Trailer theft is a huge business and when’s yours gets stolen you can at least tell the cops to look for the blue one among the sea of black trailers.
A huge issue... posted where thieves cut the perimeter fence and made off with a 9 month old 10k dump trailer...

Sheriff said not much chance if recovery as they all look the same...

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #47  
6X12 trailer 3500 lb axle get rid of the junk china tires when you buy one get the American made Goodyear endurance tires.I own aluma trailer ..

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #48  
I've owned 2 6x12 trailers. The first one was a single axle, made completely out of angle steel with a wood floor. Looked solid, but I couldn't believe how much it flexed and creaked with as little as 1500 lbs on it. Pulled fine, but was never really comfortable with putting much weight on it. I then found a used 6x12 tandem axle, couldn't tell you the manufacturer because it has no tags or stamps, but it is all box steel with a heavy duty fold up ramp (also a wood floor). I couldn't believe the difference between the 2. The second one is MUCH stronger and doesn't flex or creak and pulls excellent.
Without knowing the frame parameters of these two trailers, your number of axles is of no consequence. You can build a good or poor trailer with any number of axles.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #50  
I have a 5x14 single axle 3500 lb utility trailer that I have had for the past 12 years. It has hauled its fair share of stuff over the years. ATVs, lawnmower, furniture, lumber, and firewood just name a few. I've moved it around with my truck, ATV, and tractor. Before getting my LS MT 225s it has proven invaluable in my quest to scrounge firewood. The drop gate has been ever helpful when I needed to roll big rounds of wood on it.

Only things I've done to it replaced the tires, wood decking, repair and reinforce the drop gate, and replace damaged lights.

IMG_20181202_105253.jpg
Things I wish were different, 5200lb axle with brakes, 72-77"wide, and drop gate lift assist. These things would functionality make it the perfect trailer for my needs especially know that I have the LS.
IMG_20200617_103435.jpg