Utility trailer for 4000 series?

/ Utility trailer for 4000 series? #1  

Crabgrass

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 4400
Does anybody know if Deere makes a utility trailer/cart that would fit my 4400?

There's nothing listed on the Deere web site, although I did find a 21 cubic foot one in the Gator section. I'm concerned that my drawbar will be much higher than a Gator, causing the trailer to ride at an upward angle. That's my situation right now with my cheap Tractor Supply trailer -- it causes whatever you're hauling to shake down towards the tailgate.

The main reason I'd like to stay with Deere is durability. I moved a lot of rocks around and I've pretty much beat the tar out of my Tractor Supply one, i.e. it's three months old and I'm shopping for a new one!

Any help is appreciated.
Ron

/ Utility trailer for 4000 series? #2  
Have you considered getting a 3-pt receiver hitch attachment? That way, you can raise or lower it to whatever height you need.

A lot of guys have made their own, or they can be bought through TSC or other ag supply type stores. I don't think they're all that expensive.

Here's a link to a thread about making one. Sorry that it's not the right color! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Homemade 3 PT Receiver

/ Utility trailer for 4000 series? #3  
I've seen those receivers and would like to have one, but for some reason they sell for around $200 where I have seen them, seems way too high for me compared to regular drawbar at $20.

/ Utility trailer for 4000 series? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( seems way too high for me compared to regular drawbar at $20. )</font>

This is true!

But on the other hand, I bet $200 is less than what Ron would pay for a new trailer.

Just mentioning another option that maybe he hadn't thought of. I would think they're really handy to have. You'd be able to move just about any kind of trailer, whether it was yours, a neighbors, or whatever.

I didn't notice in the link I attached what the cost of the homemade hitch was, but it was probably less than $200.00.

Of course, I don't have that kind of talent myself, so I'd have to part with the $200.00. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Utility trailer for 4000 series? #5  
Some of the nicest trailers I have seen are made from a Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10 pickup bed.

/ Utility trailer for 4000 series? #8  
Keep your eye out, almost anything can be made into a good cart/utility trailer. I am cureently using an old 2 horse trailer with the top cut off. It is great, you can dump things on it and remove things with the FEL. It is very strong.

You can get a rusted out horse trailer for $500 or less and then just sawzall the rusted top off, the frames last MUCH longer. The floor is just boards so they can be replaced as needed.

Great for hauling firewood, dirt, rocks or in my case manure /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Definitely more capable than the little utility cart I have for my lawn tractor. I find that those little carts don't hold much more than 2 FEL scoops or about 20 feet, sort of defeats the purpose.

This way I can load all I need and make one trip.
f350lawman6.jpg

/ Utility trailer for 4000 series? #9  
You don't even have to pay $200 for a receiver type hitch. TSC sells a drawbar that goes between the lift arms. It has holes to mount a trailer ball and it costs $20 bucks. It is not a snazzy as the receiver types but you can still use it the same way as the $200 job, only $180 less.

/ Utility trailer for 4000 series? #10  
Or you could build your own custom built trailer like I did. See attached.

Attachments

• 334099-My Dump Trailer.jpg
    334099-My Dump Trailer.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 228