Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear?

/ Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear? #11  
I think the manual lever would be your best option, but if you are still thinking powered, I think the starter motor is more motor than you need. Any electric motor you use will need to be geared down significantly to work. I think you could get by with something like a tarping motor TarpingUSA Apache Series Tarp Motor for Dump Truck 1.5hp 5:1 Universal 12V Electric Tarp System Motor - - Amazon.com

do an additional 5 or 10:1 gear reduction in your installation then use a PWM to control speed and direction. Greartisan 1V-6V 4A DC Motor Speed Controller PWM Variable Speed Regulator Governor Switch CCM6DS-B With Speed Control Knob - - Amazon.com

/ Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear? #12  
I would suggest doing a search for worm gear slew drives. These are used extensively on cranes for mechanics trucks etc. I believe these can driven either via low speed high torque hydraulic motors or electric.

/ Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear? #13  
   / Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear?
Thank you all for the input.
I do want it powered. I will have hydraulics available via a 6.5 HP gas motor and a pump.
My original thought was a low rpm high torque hydraulic motor.
I've been thinking today, what piece of equipment might I find in a scrap yard that would have a crown gear and a pinion gear? I have considered using a ring and pinion out of a Jeep as they are common and I am familiar with them. I could drive the pinion with a hydraulic motor.
I could also get a double ended hydraulic cylinder and use some chains to wrap around the shaft and power it that way but I really want 360 deg rotation.

/ Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear? #15  
With a hydraulic motor you have more control over the speed and can run them pretty slow if need be. Since you already have hydraulics, it would only add one more valve. While you're at it, that lift cylinder could run off another valve as well.

/ Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear? #16  
Think you would have better solution if you had some sort of hand cranked gear box.... Lot better control...

Dale

/ Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear? #17  
My friend William built a 20 foot boom logloader for his old work barge. He found a 30 inch diameter sprocket and cut the center out then welded it to his pipe base then mounted a hydraulic motor with a. 2 inch sprocket on the boom mount. Then added the chain it works really well. He added enough hose to his hose loom so he could go 360 one time. You just need a 10 inch sprocket and a two inch one and a small charlyn rollerstator motor

/ Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear? #18  
What kind/size pump are you planning to power with a 6.5 HP engine ??

/ Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear?
I think I have narrowed the pump down to an 11 gpm two stage log splitter pump. The larges sprocket I have found that will fit on my 1 15/16" shaft is about 8 1/2" and the smallest with a 3/4' bore is 11 teeth, these are #60 chain. Have you got a suggestion on which motor? I am stumped there. Thanks

/ Using small flywheel with ring gear and a starter motor as a slew gear? #20  
I think I have narrowed the pump down to an 11 gpm two stage log splitter pump. The larges sprocket I have found that will fit on my 1 15/16" shaft is about 8 1/2" and the smallest with a 3/4' bore is 11 teeth, these are #60 chain. Have you got a suggestion on which motor? I am stumped there. Thanks

Just a back of the envelope calculation, starting at the working end:

@ 1 RPM of the 10' boom, its tip is moving at about 1 ft/sec, which isn't exactly slow for up to 400 lbs, plus the boom's mass.

With, say, a 5:1 sprocket ratio reduction, your drive motor would only be turning at 5 RPM to achieve that somewhat fast boom tip speed.

I'd also be concerned about controlling acceleration and deceleration of that much mass, and at what side load on the boom. Seems like finding used or salvaged components to thread this design needle would take awhile. Earlier responses suggesting using a worm gear reduction might make component selection more flexible.