Using Railroad Track for bridge beams

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #11  
How much work do you want? :)

RailBridge.jpg

Bruce

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #12  
Nice of the company to give away money like that, offer the company to take the whole lot and get it in writing. Start calling around scrap yards for the best price on heavy melt, I'm sure they will pick up, give you some decent cash, and you won't have to lift anything heavier than your cell phone.

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #13  
   / Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #14  
Railroad track is used for many structural applications. You need to brace the beams for lateral movement.
do You have a way to move them into place

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #15  
Railroad track is used for many structural applications. You need to brace the beams for lateral movement.
do You have a way to move them into place

Can you post a single example of structural railroad track? And a railroad track in some more complex plan doesn’t count. Just track laying flat down as a beam like the op is planning.

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #17  
I'd get it all and pile it up at the house. Free, I don't tarry on that price. I've had pieces like that before. They were all bowed down a little, that's just how they are. Most bridging I saw were cattle gaps over creeks going across farms. Oilfield uses them. Two on each side, eight feet long. We get them used. But for twenty one years that used cattle gap has had a loaded 18 wheeler crossing it every other day. One brings feed, another picks up product. If you go the entire 20 ft, weld two, one on top of the other, standing up like they are. I don't think you have to span 20 ft, that's more small river. You'll have more of a problem with it sinking in the ground, so put some concrete chunks under each end. Then lay some rebar on the blocks and pour dry sack Crete on that. Put a few buckets of water and call it good. Get it ready for a floor, but don't install floor. Keep all that weight off and you can maybe winch it across the creek. I've put in some bridges out of light poles, full 40 ft. Had to go back and fix it because the creek flooded and washed the bridge downstream a little. Put it back and cabled it to some trees on the up stream side. Stayed for years so far. It was just a neighborhood friendly project helping a bunch or old fellers. It's just we had log skidders, tractors, other equipment. The skidder winch did most of it. I don't know the tree situation around your creek.

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #18  
I wouldn't recommend it for the same reason everyone pointed out. They have hard time supporting themselves... I am sure it's doable if you can get your hand on enough of them .. you probably would need like 6 of them longitudinally and secure them together but even then, I would expect them to swing and bounce. I like JJT idea to take them and sell them.

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #19  
I wouldn't recommend it for the same reason everyone pointed out. They have hard time supporting themselves... I am sure it's doable if you can get your hand on enough of them .. you probably would need like 6 of them longitudinally and secure them together but even then, I would expect them to swing and bounce. I like JJT idea to take them and sell them.
If you sell them, cut in short pieces and sell on e bay. I live so close to a place that uses rail. I can only hear them dump a load on a quiet evening. They make T posts, rebar, angle iron. All out of rail road track, grade 80. I've had a cut off piece of rebar mess up the head on an estwing hammer, using the rebar as a punch. So it's tough stuff because those are good hammers.

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #20  
Again, I'd advise using something else.

There is a real good market for old rail. Since 1893, this company has been melting down and making T-posts and a bunch of other stuff out of used rail. Largest specialty mill in the US, if I remember correctly. I lived near there 60+ years, and always saw old rail and new T-posts on trucks going and coming.