Using a terramite as a forklift?

/ Using a terramite as a forklift? #1  

nyquil junkie

Tractor
new holland l325
We are in the market for a utility tractor to move around hay rounds, and do the basic barnyard work. After checking the specs of the various terramite models, the loader cap on paper is twice what our 800lb +/- round bales weigh. Right now we are using a little NH skid steer with a 20hp honda stuck on it and it lifts them and takes them anywhere we want, even up hills.

But, we do need some little backhoe work done and, regular compost moving and barn stuff done in tight places. The terramite seems to fit the bill.

What we really want to know is, has anyone used a set of forks on the front ends to use the TM as a forklift? or to move round bales? Its mostly all level hard ground and the bales only have to be moved at most 75 feet to the feeder, or set on a little trucks flatbed to take out in the field.

Even if the specs say it'll lift a ton, in practice that might not be possible or a good idea. The skidder says it will lift 1K, but if you try, your day wont go well.... just because it can, doesn't mean you should try.

But... with the hoe on the back of a terramite, it seems like the weight is there to counter 800#.

Do you guys think a terramite would be a good multi use machine in this situation? It would be nice to have one machine to do everything and small enough to get in there where a small utility tractor and loader wont.

If it can comfortably lift the bale a foot off the ground and putter on its merry way with no problem that would be great..... with a set of pallet forks or, a spear on the FEL.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this question. Thanks!

/ Using a terramite as a forklift? #2  
I retrofitted my T9 with a quick attach setup and I have a set of forks for it. Flat ground I can move around about a half pallet of bricks but not real well. The machine looses traction and you can feel the strain on it.

/ Using a terramite as a forklift? #3  
Remember a round bale of hay has the center of weight 2 feet or more from the loader pins. The 800 pound rating is measured at the loader pins. Always consider the load vs just the weight.

/ Using a terramite as a forklift?
Remember a round bale of hay has the center of weight 2 feet or more from the loader pins. The 800 pound rating is measured at the loader pins. Always consider the load vs just the weight.

Yup... a bucket of gravel is different than a roll of hay on forks. I agree. Since the TM has a hoe off its back end, I dont know if that is sufficient counterweight as I don't know what the actual hoe weight is.... off the machine. My guess is at least 500#.

Probably the only way to really know is get one and test the theory... lol

/ Using a terramite as a forklift? #5  
Terramites are solid machines. I've used several over the years. However, most are only rear wheel drive, so dispite heavy backhoe, rear wheel traction may become an issue. I personally will not bother with a loader on a 2wd tractor anymore, having used 4x tractors with loaders. My dad's MF 135 had a loader, which stayed off unless needed, too much weight on the front.

The Terramite may do well for you, I'd ty to find a 4x4 model if you can.

/ Using a terramite as a forklift? #6  
i have had a T9 2wd with forks for years. The loader is rated at 2300 lbs, which is close to half the total weight of the machine. With the backhoe in travel position, moving a 2000 lb load over bumpy ground can be a little butt clenching. With the backhoe extended and weight in the bucket, I have had no issues. Have lifted and repositioned a 1000 gallon LP tank chained around the bucket.

With large round hay bales weighing 1330 to 1800 lbs, a T9 could easily lift the bales, especially if they are close to the pivot pin.

Now for your biggest issue. Terramites are not really designed to move things any distance. Compared to any tractor or even a skid loader, they are doggedly slow. So, if you are trying to clear a field of hay bales and get them to a barn, I would definitely not want to use a Terramite. If you are just picking the bales up and putting them on a nearby flatbed, the "big" Terramite would work fine.

My 2 cents, for what it might be worth.

/ Using a terramite as a forklift? #7  
I have used my T5C to move round bales for years now without issue. These are very handy little tractors around the farm.

/ Using a terramite as a forklift? #8  
I have bucket forks on my T6, can lift 1400 lbs about 1.5' in front of the bucket, but must extend the backhoe to keep the back wheels on the ground. BTW the bucket is reinforced with a piece of angle iron, works great.

/ Using a terramite as a forklift? #9  
Idk if the original poster ever got this figured out, but we converted my 4x4 terramite to skidsteer attachments and can use forks, bale spear etc very well at nearly the capacity of the loader because the bucket is not on and the load is close to the pins.

/ Using a terramite as a forklift? #10  
I just bolt on then ratchet strap Titan forks onto the bucket of my T7, but the OP probably figured something out already.......

Idk if the original poster ever got this figured out, but we converted my 4x4 terramite to skidsteer attachments and can use forks, bale spear etc very well at nearly the capacity of the loader because the bucket is not on and the load is close to the pins.

Any pics? How did you do that?