Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing)

/ Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing) #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Hi there. I have a question I have no answer to.
Here is the situation.
Deep well pump 240 volts. Its fed from a breaker and then through a double pole switch, and then of cource through the pressure switch. A year or so ago I had some issues with the pittless, and after that I wanted to have an indicator light for when the pump was actually pumping and powered.
So I added a wire onto one 'leg' of the switch and up to an outlet,where I placed a night light...
This worked great and I could see when the pump was powered.
I them scaled back and got an LED night light bulb and that also performed well.But found and odd occurance reciently, as the pump was in 'off' mode and there was a slight glow to the base of the LED bulb.At first I thought maybe there was voltage trough it , but upon shutting off the switch it still glowed, and then with switch and breaker off it still glowed.
Now I remember once when I had the power in the house go out and it seemed like the LED night lights continued to work.....Even then I wondered if the house was getting a low amount of voltage.( just enough to run the night light but not run anything else)
So I question why I observe this? thanks for any ideas ..

/ Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing) #2  
Maybe your check valves are bad, water is flowing back through the pump after it shuts off and generating enough to power the light?

Put a volt meter on the leads and see what you got. Let it sit as long as you can without the pump running and see if the light goes out.

/ Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing) #3  
I have one of the first LED that were sold several years ago installed in a hallway of our house. They also glow when switched off. My guess is that the current going through the inlumination of the switch is enough to make them glow.

In your case there might be a power induced to the cable to the pump. Your cable to the pump is not shielded (like instrument cables are). If you have two conductors in parallel they work like a transformer. In example there is AC current flowing trough the ground and it is induced to the cable. Since the LED needs only very small current to glow the power induced in the cable is enough to do it so.

/ Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing) #4  
you need to confirm if its voltage making it light or it possibly has a small battery in the nightlight.

/ Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing) #5  
Brigtness of the LED is proportional to the current. Therefore the LED controllers, are in essence, current regulators or current limiters. Night lite has current limiter. If the voltage is low the current limiter passes maximum current available. Since the current is low (due to low voltage) the LED glows only. My guess is there is just few volts acros the light. Here is an experimet you can do if you have a digital voltmenter. Switch it to AC V and conect the leads together. It will register small voltage induced by electromagnetic field in example from radio transmitter. There are all kinds of currents flowing trough the ground that can induce enough voltage to the cable to make the LED light glow.

/ Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing) #6  
Brigtness of the LED is proportional to the current. Therefore the LED controllers, are in essence, current regulators or current limiters. Night lite has current limiter. If the voltage is low the current limiter passes maximum current available. Since the current is low (due to low voltage) the LED glows only. My guess is there is just few volts acros the light. Here is an experimet you can do if you have a digital voltmenter. Switch it to AC V and conect the leads together. It will register small voltage induced by electromagnetic field in example from radio transmitter. There are all kinds of currents flowing trough the ground that can induce enough voltage to the cable to make the LED light glow.

Exactlly. as well as Low Frequency RF. It doesn't take a whole lot of energy to light an LED when you stick a large "antenna" on it.

I used to light a 2 foot Florescent tube by attaching it to my wire antenna running out in the back yard. It would easily glow to full brilliance with only one lead attached to it by the electricity generated by the wire being exposed to to the wind in certain conditions. Snow coming down was one of the best of those conditions.

James K0UA

/ Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing) #7  
I would like to ad that there could be some stray voltage on the neutral wire out at the pump that is using the well water as a better ground to make the glow.

Lots of possibilities using the meter on the leads may actually pull off enough of the open switched power to kill the glow of the LED. I would be interested in seeing what you find out too...

Mark

/ Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing) #8  
Hi there. I have a question I have no answer to.
Here is the situation.
Deep well pump 240 volts. Its fed from a breaker and then through a double pole switch, and then of cource through the pressure switch. A year or so ago I had some issues with the pittless, and after that I wanted to have an indicator light for when the pump was actually pumping and powered.
So I added a wire onto one 'leg' of the switch and up to an outlet,where I placed a night light...
This worked great and I could see when the pump was powered.
I them scaled back and got an LED night light bulb and that also performed well.But found and odd occurance reciently, as the pump was in 'off' mode and there was a slight glow to the base of the LED bulb.At first I thought maybe there was voltage trough it , but upon shutting off the switch it still glowed, and then with switch and breaker off it still glowed.
Now I remember once when I had the power in the house go out and it seemed like the LED night lights continued to work.....Even then I wondered if the house was getting a low amount of voltage.( just enough to run the night light but not run anything else)
So I question why I observe this? thanks for any ideas ..
Since there is no neutral on the 240 volt pump circuit, did you use use neutral and ground at the outlet for the night light?

/ Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing) #9  

I would also add that LED cicuits are particularly vunerable to such induced currents by virtue of their low operating current and the fact that they are diodes and rectify currents that would normally cancel.
It would be nice if the OP drew up a nice little schematic of his complete circuit. It would be easy to tell what's going on then....Electricity always behaves on paper.

/ Using a LED light on a Well Pump (glowing) #10  
I guess hes gone?

In post 1 he said wired to switch, strange that he didn't say pressure switch cause that's the only way a indicator light would be of any benefit.