Used R4047

/ Used R4047 #1  

dirtymartini

Silver Member
Tractor
LS R4047 FEL & Backhoe
I just found a used (less than 100 hrs) LS R4047 with FEL and backhoe for $20,000. Is this a decent deal? LS wasn't on my list but this seems like a lot of tractor for the $

/ Used R4047 #2  
IIRC, last summer my best deal on a comparable XR would have been around $30 with the hydrostat transmission. If a Tier 3 engined machine is what you are seeking, that sounds like a fair price to me... nothing but positive reviews out their on the Mitsubishi powertrain. I've got the LS BH on my XU, and recommend it highly.

For reference: I recently bought an implement from somebody local who sold a (virtually identical) low hour NH Boomer 50 hydro without loader or BH in the 16s. Considering the cost of the FEL and BH, this is a much better value IMHO.

/ Used R4047
While I was out today I stopped by the local LS dealer who is only 6-7miles from me. He had an XR4046 with FEL and BH...I didn't ask the price, figured it was out of my price range. He also has a XG3032 gear with FEL and a XG 3037 with FEL hydro in stock. He quoted me $14k for the XG3032 and $15.5k for the XG3037 hydro...that's with trading my '94 Massey 1230 with FEL.
I see that the XG 3032 and XG3037 have Shibaura engines...I'm not too familiar with those. Are they any good?

/ Used R4047 #4  
Shibaura has been around for quite a while. They are a good engine. My XR3037HC has one. The R4047 has a Mitsubishi engine. Also a good one. I missed out on buying an R4047 1 1/2 years ago for the same price and it did not have a BH. For a 100 hr. machine w/ FEL & BH seems like a good price.

/ Used R4047
Shibaura has been around for quite a while. They are a good engine. My XR3037HC has one. The R4047 has a Mitsubishi engine. Also a good one. I missed out on buying an R4047 1 1/2 years ago for the same price and it did not have a BH. For a 100 hr. machine w/ FEL & BH seems like a good price.

After looking at the XR 4046 I realized that the R4047 was probably more tractor than I need (but why should that stop me LOL) The ncice thing about my local LS dealer is he will take my Massey on trade.

We just bought 20 acres that is probably 95% wooded, it goes from gently sloping to a few steep grades in spots. I will probably hire someone with big machines to clear the area for the driveway and house, then use the tractor to landscape and maintain plus dragging some logs for firewood.

I also had thoughts of just keeping my Massey that owes me nothing and buying the neighbors old Case 580 CK backhoe for the tough jobs. I could probably get it for around $5500...but worry about buying a money pit.

/ Used R4047 #6  
The XR series tractors are premium tractors meaning they come with more standard options that other brands charge extra for. The R series were the older tractors. My XR3037HC is about right for me as I only have 2 - 5 acre properties. My main uses are for snow plowing, living where I do. I upgraded from a 26HP open station tractor because I needed 10 more HP, a heated cab plus over 1500 lbs. more weight. I'd have gone bigger if I could have afforded to. I couldn't justify the price of a new BH attachment for the occasional times I need it so bought a used BH attachment and adapted it to fit. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I've added a used BH to mine C

/ Used R4047 #7  
I also had thoughts of just keeping my Massey that owes me nothing and buying the neighbors old Case 580 CK backhoe for the tough jobs. I could probably get it for around $5500...but worry about buying a money pit.

This. Nice having a backup machine sometimes, but having two pieces of equipment -- especially one that only gets occasional use -- to store, maintain, and lose keys for made it easier to buy the BH as an implement. The exception might be a mini excavator since they (IMHO) are much more versatile, smaller footprint, can pivot 360', etc. for those who need a dedicated digger.

If the Case OR Massey do require a lot of downtime and parts, you'll either wish you had rented or used the $5k as a down payment on something like the LS.

/ Used R4047 #8  
Yea, I'd probably do that. If you think it's too much tractor then get it and I'll trade you my R3039 ;)

I think I've seen them go a little cheaper than that a few years ago but now that Tier 4 is out some people would rather have Tier 3 and are willing to pay a bit of a premium for them so I'd say that one is priced about right.

/ Used R4047 #9  

I also had a chance to buy a 580CK late last fall for $5K or a bit below. I know it needed work but I researched them and they appeared easy to work on if you were handy or could follow a service manual. My problem was I don't have my pole barn built yet so I have no place to work on it and was afraid to work it hard and have it break down and have to repair it in the field. It sounded like it needed wheel bearings (a common problem as the grease plug gets covered in mud an people don't know it's there unless they have a manual). Not hard to fix but you do need to pull axles and have a clean environment to do it in. If one comes up for that price after I'm settled on my new land with pole barn I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

/ Used R4047
I also had a chance to buy a 580CK late last fall for $5K or a bit below. I know it needed work but I researched them and they appeared easy to work on if you were handy or could follow a service manual. My problem was I don't have my pole barn built yet so I have no place to work on it and was afraid to work it hard and have it break down and have to repair it in the field. It sounded like it needed wheel bearings (a common problem as the grease plug gets covered in mud an people don't know it's there unless they have a manual). Not hard to fix but you do need to pull axles and have a clean environment to do it in. If one comes up for that price after I'm settled on my new land with pole barn I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

The lack of a pole barn right now is a drawback for me also. I don't even crawl under my car or pickup truck to fix them anymore.

I found out that the R4047 I mentioned in my first post is a 2011, would that make it a Tier 3? It would be a little big for squeezing through the wood...maybe I would just have to make my trails wider LOL I'm going to look at the R4047 Monday.