Posthole Digger Used PHD

/ Used PHD #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I found a used PHD for sale. What should I be looking out for? I figured I should check the oil in the gear box. Should I check for play in the drive mechanism? How much play should there be? I will also check out the augar for wear and the frame for any signs of abuse. Anything else?

/ Used PHD #2  
I'd say if it turns without anything grinding, you're probably OK. PHD seems like one of those things that no one uses enough to ever really damage or wear out. IMHO

/ Used PHD #4  
Onthesauk said:
I'd say if it turns without anything grinding, you're probably OK. PHD seems like one of those things that no one uses enough to ever really damage or wear out. IMHO

Oh yeah???? :eek:

/ Used PHD #5  
check brand name to see if they are still made and replacement parts available if needed.

I'm glad to say that my Danuser still has parts for it.

/ Used PHD #6  
I'd make sure the auger has replaceable teeth. It they've been welded on, changing teeth will be miserable. TSC has replacement parts. I make my own based on new TSC parts used as templates. Even if it leaks oil, a PHD is not used so much that a once a day fillup is unreasonable.

/ Used PHD #7  
keep the price of a new one in mind - they arent expensive (at least the non hydrolic ones). So if it looks like Kaakaa then go buy a new one