Used John Deere 4005 vs New Tractor

/ Used John Deere 4005 vs New Tractor #1  

mdm288

Tractor
Yanmar 276D
I have an opportunity to buy a used 2012 John Deere 4005 4x4 tractor with a 300CX loader with 320 hours on it for $20K. It is the same or similar to a 990. It has 42 hp engine and 35 hp at the PTO. It is a 9x3 manual transmission (synchronized between first, second, and 3rd forward gears, NOT between forward and reverse). It comes with a 72" QD bucket and a set of pallet forks/frame, a sun shade, quick hitch, and I think it also has front and rear remotes.

I will mostly be using it for brush hogging fields, rototilling, and carrying/lifting items with the bucket and forks. Dirt/gravel loader work will be done, but will only be every once in a while.

Does this sound like a good deal for a used, manual, 4005 tractor? Or would it be better to buy something new with an HST for ease of use, even if sacrificing power for a lower price, like a Kubota L2502 or Kioti CK2620 or similar, which would probably cost $25-$30k+ but come with 0% financing and a warranty?

Thanks

/ Used John Deere 4005 vs New Tractor #2  
You will get used to anything. The JD slips between forward and reverse in a breath.
As far as "does this sound like a good deal" has nothing to do with us and or opinion.
It has everything to do with "your" value quotient and your ability to negotiate.
In other words "value" is not only measured with money and no one here knows how badly you desire a tractor and what you would be willing to do to appease said desire.
So here are your options:1. Pay the 20K and be happy as a pig that you finally own something that will help you in the care of your property
2. Pay the 20K and constantly berate yourself that you spent 20K and just be miserable about it all.
3. Pay a price that you would be more happy with than the 20K.
4. Pay the price you want for the JD and still lament the fact that you didn't buy new.
5. Buy new and regret paying more money than for a perfectly fine used tractor.
6. Buy new and be perfecty satisfied with your decision.
To be truthful, you already know what you want and looking for verification from folks that have nothing to do with your money or what makes you tick happy.
Glad I could solve it for ya :)

/ Used John Deere 4005 vs New Tractor #3  
I have an opportunity to buy a used 2012 John Deere 4005 4x4 tractor with a 300CX loader with 320 hours on it for $20K. It is the same or similar to a 990. It has 42 hp engine and 35 hp at the PTO. It is a 9x3 manual transmission (synchronized between first, second, and 3rd forward gears, NOT between forward and reverse). It comes with a 72" QD bucket and a set of pallet forks/frame, a sun shade, quick hitch, and I think it also has front and rear remotes.

I will mostly be using it for brush hogging fields, rototilling, and carrying/lifting items with the bucket and forks. Dirt/gravel loader work will be done, but will only be every once in a while.

Does this sound like a good deal for a used, manual, 4005 tractor? Or would it be better to buy something new with an HST for ease of use, even if sacrificing power for a lower price, like a Kubota L2502 or Kioti CK2620 or similar, which would probably cost $25-$30k+ but come with 0% financing and a warranty?

Thanks
Is it in nice shape? If so, then that is a "no brainer"- but only IF you are comfortable with a foot-clutched tractor. I think you will find that you do no do much shifting. A lot of tractor work is done in one speed range.
A simple pre-emissions controlled tractor with that proven engine and tranny will far outlast the modern compact utility tractors with their computer-controlled everything.
General opinion is that the tractors from the pre 2014 era were more reliable. The problem is finding a nice one from someone you trust. If that is the case, I'd go for it.
Look on the 320 hours as proof of reliability. I'd take that over a warranty everyday. That many hours is barely broken it. It should last a lifetime.
Luck.
rScotty

/ Used John Deere 4005 vs New Tractor #4  
I'm a firm believer in "simpler is better". That tractor is at least ten times less complicated than anything sold today. 320 hours (if that's accurate) is as close to new as you can get with a used tractor. Even if you could find something similar new for that price, you're still better off with this one.

/ Used John Deere 4005 vs New Tractor #5  
How about a legacy TYM T2515? Lifts 2200# at the pins, comes with SSQA connections on front, 2 years bumper2bumper/6years powertrain. Runs you around $20k+/-. Has a low tech mechanical injected engine and no ECU. HST or cogs.
794ACD53-0F29-4008-B09E-78B45110C71F-1200x900.jpeg

/ Used John Deere 4005 vs New Tractor
How about a legacy TYM T2515? Lifts 2200# at the pins, comes with SSQA connections on front, 2 years bumper2bumper/6years powertrain. Runs you around $20k+/-. Has a low tech mechanical injected engine and no ECU. HST or cogs.
View attachment 862053
I unfortunately don't have a TYM dealer nearby, but do have a Bad Boy tractor dealer that's pretty close. They are a powersports dealer that sells Mahindra tractors as well. I believe the Bad Boy 4025 is a Branson/Kukje/Tym 2515 with an HST, so it could be worth checking out.

/ Used John Deere 4005 vs New Tractor #7  
View attachment 862053

Oh, is that how it is? If you're going to pimp TYM, I'm going to offer up the Kioti CK2620 as an alternative. 🤣

Except I'll post my CK2610, out of vanity.

20231015_171045.jpg

Now if you decide that a modern, larger frame, ~25 horsepower, HST compact tractor isn't right for you, that's okay too, and in that case the Deere 4005 is an excellent machine. It's a Yanmar built model, isn't it? They're simple and reliable, a lot of people here love the Yandeere models. You're going to get similar hydraulic performance in these tractors, roughly, so that asks- how big a rototiller or mower are you going to be operating? A 25 horsepower HST will produce roughly 19 PTO horsepower, and while the general rule is 5 horsepower per foot, you can get away with running 5 foot implements if you're willing to sacrifice speed or you're on flat ground. Or even a bit of both. The 4005 is 35 PTO horsepower, and will run those items at a faster speed, up and down reasonable hills.

If you can, operate all options a bit, get a feel for what is comfortable for you to use. A tractor that beats you up may not be a tractor you want to run for any extended period.

This is a fun time, with so many cool options available, enjoy yourself!

Oh, if you go new, get it with everything you think you'll grow into. Rear-remotes, 3rd function, extendable links, whatever you think you'll use- it'll never be a better time to add these items.

/ Used John Deere 4005 vs New Tractor #8  
It’s pre emissions so that’s a big plus. I have a friend with an older JD, similar transmission, I think his is a little bigger tractor. I was trying to tell him he needed an HST but after being around him and his tractor he is pretty smooth with it. That’s also very low hours for that tractor. 5 years ago I’d have said that is over priced, these days probably not.

/ Used John Deere 4005 vs New Tractor #9  
for the price and low hrs think I would go for it.