US Yanmars_The old days

/ US Yanmars_The old days #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Is there anyone else around who remembers when compact tractors were first introduced and there were Yanmar dealers in the USA?
rScotty

/ US Yanmars_The old days #2  
Before I was born so I will say no.

I'm sure many of the guys here do.

/ US Yanmars_The old days #3  
I don't , I was not born yet.

I'm sure many of the guys do.

/ US Yanmars_The old days #4  
I don't remember any Yanmar dealers but I remember Yanmars being popular so there must have been dealers or dealers of other equipment that also sold Yanmars. I just don't remember them.

/ US Yanmars_The old days #5  
Do you guys think yanmar could have been more regional ?. Around eastern pa never even heard of yanmar till I bought one in the later 90's. I'm sure they were around just didn't pay attention I guess.

/ US Yanmars_The old days #6  
I had been around a long time but never saw a Yanmar dealer until the greys hit the market . Now a skeleton of grey dealers and there is a place about 30 miles from me selling the new red Yanmars.

/ US Yanmars_The old days #7  
I was driving by this place a few days ago and stopped for a look. Had new Yanmar tractors on the lot. Looks like they are a dealer.

Products

/ US Yanmars_The old days #8  
Is there anyone else around who remembers when compact tractors were first introduced and there were Yanmar dealers in the USA?
rScotty

I recall when all we had was the Yahoo Yanmar forum and you worked with Muhammed of TBN to get a Yanmar forum included.

/ US Yanmars_The old days #9  
Only one memory from back in the day. in 1975 I bought a duplex, to fix up and resell while we lived there. (Worked as planned, bought $45k sold for $75k in three years). One improvement was to grade the neglected, too-steep backyards into lawns on terraces.

I rented tiny tractors that could go through a 4 ft wide opening where I removed a fence panel. First weekend a tiny 4x4 Kubota with scraper box and loader, I think a 6000 or 6100. I hauled the excess dirt through that fence opening using the loader and used it for fill to level the front yard. Next weekend the Kubota was already rented so I got a tiny Yanmar. This one was 2 wheel drive.

I liked the Yanmar better. It steered easier, pulled its scraper box just as well, more suitable gear ratios, the loader worked more naturally. Overall a nicer experience. After this direct comparison I decided I liked the Yanmar better.

Then near 30 years later when I took over this orchard and looked for a small tractor, Ebay was full of gray market Yanmars so I started reading about them. For even less than a 'reconditioned' gray I found a (US) YM240, a nice tractor aside from its appearance that showed it had been left outdoors for years. My cost over the following 14 years has been less than if I had bought the alternatives available at that time, a 'reconditioned' Gray or a $5,000 Jinma. I'm a Yanmar enthusiast.

/ US Yanmars_The old days #10  
Clemsonfor,
Are you old enough to remember a guy who usually had a couple of little imports for sale in his front yard in the late 70's or early 80's. I think they were Yanmars. He lived on HWY 25 somewhere around Ware Shoals. I think he was a dealer. Those and a few I saw at consignment auctions round the same time were the first I remember.