US DOT Considering requiring CDL for Tractors

/ US DOT Considering requiring CDL for Tractors #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
The "Farmers Pride" publication here in Central Ky is out today with proposal the US DOT has issued recommendations for putting CDL requirements on drivers of tractors on the highway. IMHO, This is the most absurd idea the Gumment has come up with in days. You may want to help knock this down before it gets rolling. Ken Sweet

/ US DOT Considering requiring CDL for Tractors #2  
So ... I never updated my 101 to the CDL when that change occured. Do I show up at the DOT with my 32 hp Kub, with a 6' trailer attached, and demonstrate my ability to back it into a loading dock at right angles. Then do I have to take it on the highway to demonstrate my road skilz? A little toode down I-91 would sure get the heart racing - especially the merge at the end of the on ramp! Man, that is absurd.

/ US DOT Considering requiring CDL for Tractors
   / US DOT Considering requiring CDL for Tractors #5  
I think that they should take a long hard look at the requirements for anyone driving motor homes before they start worrying about tractors. People driving tractors almost always have some experience and more often than not, a lot of experience driving them. Motor home owners can buy one today and hit the highways tomorrow never having had been behind the steering wheel of anything larger than a Smart Car before. OTOH, I am not in agreement with any farmer having any exception for any vehicle that is driven on the road when the next person on the road has to have a complete different and more stringent set of rules to operate the exact same vehicle.

A CDL does nothing to make a tractor operator a better operator. I suspect the DOT is anticipating considerable revenue from the new requirment, both in fees for a CDL and fines to people who aren't in strict compliance with whatever rules they make up to cover a tractor.

/ US DOT Considering requiring CDL for Tractors #6  
Everyone with a tractor on TBN should be madder than a swarm of african bees. I guess the Amish will have to get CDL's for driving their wagons on the road.

/ US DOT Considering requiring CDL for Tractors #7  
The absurdity of this is that drivers licensing is not federal. I don't see many people driving their tractors across state lines. In fact, it has been difficult for the federal government to impose any requirements for traffic laws on the states, except under threat of loosing highway dollars. That is the only way they have been able to get the states to come into line on speed limit regulations. Constitutionally, they only have the power to regulate interstate commerce. That is how they regulate auto manufacturers. Cars could be transported and sold across state lines, and pollution is carried by the wind across state lines. If they were to impose this, I can guarantee a challenge by many farming groups. And if the Department of Agriculture actually represented farmers, instead of corporate groups and special interests that have noting to do with Ag, they would never let anything like this fly.

/ US DOT Considering requiring CDL for Tractors
What I would like to know, is who sets around and thinks up stupid ideas like this? How much are we paying him? Ken Sweet

/ US DOT Considering requiring CDL for Tractors #9  
The absurdity of this is that drivers licensing is not federal. I don't see many people driving their tractors across state lines. In fact, it has been difficult for the federal government to impose any requirements for traffic laws on the states, except under threat of loosing highway dollars. That is the only way they have been able to get the states to come into line on speed limit regulations. Constitutionally, they only have the power to regulate interstate commerce. That is how they regulate auto manufacturers. Cars could be transported and sold across state lines, and pollution is carried by the wind across state lines. If they were to impose this, I can guarantee a challenge by many farming groups. And if the Department of Agriculture actually represented farmers, instead of corporate groups and special interests that have noting to do with Ag, they would never let anything like this fly.

But if it is truly akin to a CDL, it might as well be federal, as they set the standards that all states must meet. There is no hodgepodge of rules between states like there used to be.

This is nothing more than a moneymaking scam. Same as the background checks required of 2.4 MILLION HM endorsed drivers every five years, which is not compatible with TWIC backgrounds which just happen to be incompatible with FAST background checks.

/ US DOT Considering requiring CDL for Tractors #10  
Hiya,

Of course the "government" wants to make things more difficult for people living in rural areas, "they" don't want us out beyond the "central command structure" of the cities.

Dam, I sound like a paranoid nut, maybe I'm wrong but if the last 2 years prove anything, it's to expect any wackjob policy to be put into place. Hey, hope you have enough incandesant light bulbs, the date that they are banned is closing in.

Tom