US Automatic Gate Opener Photo Eye Delete

/ US Automatic Gate Opener Photo Eye Delete #11  
The Relay hack that DSX posted works flawlessly. I'll buy your next case of beer or cola. I have been searching for two years to find a work around for those danged photo eye sensors since I don't need them for my application. Now If someone could find a antenna hack to get some more range on for the receiver. Thanks a million DSX!!!! Don Stamper
Ok so I have also been looking for a long time to get around those stupid things. Can you tell me what relay you used. I just want to make sure I get one that I know if going to work. Thanks

/ US Automatic Gate Opener Photo Eye Delete #12  
You can remove the photo eye completely by replacing it with a 12v automotive relay. I picked up a 5-pin relay from O'Reilly and used it on my US Automatic Patriot 1. Wire the coil pins of the relay to the control board (pins 12, and 2 or 7). Wire the NO pins between control board pins 7 and 8.

The photo eye itself contains relays that send a 5v or 0v signal to the control board pin 8. A 5v signal appears to signal that the beam has been crossed, where a 0v appears to be the "all clear" signal. The automotive relay simulates this behavior.
Just found your post searching how to eliminate the US Automatic photo eye sensors to my Ranger duel swing gate and joined to be able to reply to your answer with questions. Can you provide a little more clarity for me to understand? What do you mean by saying "between" with "Wire the NO (normally open) pins "between" control board pins 7 and 8. (There is no slot between 7 & 8 on the control boards J2 terminal pins 1 through 12 pins. Using the 12v automotive 5 pin relay am I understanding correctly that you're only using the two relay coil pins (which are the power & ground pins) wired to the J2 pins 12(photo eye power) and the other to one of the J2 terminal ground pins (2 or 7) AND that there is no other wiring from the 5 pin relay to the J2 control board. Meaning the only wiring done is from the two +/- coil pins on the relay to the control board J2 terminal pins 12 (photo power) and ground pin 2 or 7. And perhaps you're saying "between" is placing a bypass wire on the control board J2 terminal pins from pin 7 (common ground) to pin 8 (photo eye closed direction N/C Input)? If this is the case, why a "5 pin relay if you're not using the other relay pins for normally open to normally closed? Can you use a 3 or 4 pin relay for the same behavior? Please help me understand this. Also, does this mean I can then completely disconnect the wiring from the photo eye to the control boards J2 connection pis?
Thank you!

Last edited:
   / US Automatic Gate Opener Photo Eye Delete #13  
Just found your post searching how to eliminate the US Automatic photo eye sensors to my Ranger duel swing gate and joined to be able to reply to your answer with questions. Can you provide a little more clarity for me to understand? What do you mean by saying "between" with "Wire the NO (normally open) pins "between" control board pins 7 and 8. (There is no slot between 7 & 8 on the control boards J2 terminal pins 1 through 12 pins. Using the 12v automotive 5 pin relay am I understanding correctly that you're only using the two relay coil pins (which are the power & ground pins) wired to the J2 pins 12(photo eye power) and the other to one of the J2 terminal ground pins (2 or 7) AND that there is no other wiring from the 5 pin relay to the J2 control board. Meaning the only wiring done is from the two +/- coil pins on the relay to the control board J2 terminal pins 12 (photo power) and ground pin 2 or 7. And perhaps you're saying "between" is placing a bypass wire on the control board J2 terminal pins from pin 7 (common ground) to pin 8 (photo eye closed direction N/C Input)? If this is the case, why a "5 pin relay if you're not using the other relay pins for normally open to normally closed? Can you use a 3 or 4 pin relay for the same behavior? Please help me understand this. Also, does this mean I can then completely disconnect the wiring from the photo eye to the control boards J2 connection pis?
Thank you!
Did you ever get this figured out? I have been trying to figure it out all weekend.

/ US Automatic Gate Opener Photo Eye Delete #14  
With all the animals I have around, I was reluctant to defeat the IR sensor on my gate opener. To avoid having to run a wire across the driveway, I mounted the transmitter & receiver next to each other and placed a small mirror on the far side. It was a bit tricky to set up, but once aligned, it' s been working fine for 2 years now.