Unhappy with X575, etc. ?

/ Unhappy with X575, etc. ? #1  

om21braz

Veteran Member
Hello all from a newbie ! I'm posting in regard to the X575, X595 vs. a 2210 or BX orange machine. I'm mowing approx. 2 1/2 acres total and would like to upgrade from a regular LG tractor to a machine I can straighten up the 250' gravel drive I have plus mow and maybe a few other activities. Most likely the machine will be mowing 85% of the time and is required to get in/out a tight spot or two. A fel would probably be down the road a ways and a new trailer purchase would be required also.
I realize this comparison is probably getting old, but I'm really curious to how many folks have been plain unhappy doing something besides mowing with the X. And I'm concerned with loosing garden-tractor manuvering with something slightly larger and ROPS. Thanks in advance !

/ Unhappy with X575, etc. ? #2  
Personally I would not want to work on a 250' driveway with a garden tractor. As for the "X" Series mowing and snow blowing are about the only things I would use one for. But I have a 4115 in the shed for the other stuff. Guess if I was in your position I would opt for the BX or the 2210. (or something else) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Unhappy with X575, etc. ? #3  
I doubt you will find an unhappy X500 series owner...It all depends on what the tasks are but most likely it will handle everything you mentione just fine....a 250 ft driveway
is not that huge ( but its larger than mine) and can easily be handled by an X 500 series machine...all these machines you
mentioned are great mowers and small enough for tight radius mowing...

the 2210 and Bx offer more hydrolic power and 3 pt capability
maybe its not needed at this time? You should get a feel for them price wise and compare all of them...

Duc

/ Unhappy with X575, etc. ? #4  
I've had a X595 for 2 yrs. Will answer any of your questions --what are you interested in finding out?
jim

/ Unhappy with X575, etc. ? #5  
I don't own that class of machine but recently ruled them out when looking so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt.

From my observations, the X5 series is a garden tractor and while I suspect owners of them love them, it is my opinion that they are not a good value for the dollar. While they are similar in size to a BX, a 2210, a Massey GC2300 or a New Holland TZ series tractor, that is about all they seem to have for similarities. Simply put, as a small tractor the BX, 2210, GC or TZ simply out tractor the X5 series. The X5 series frames are lighter, hydraulics lesser and I suspect their traction is also lesser as compared to the Sub-CUT class machines.

But all that said, your mowing being the biggest priority, it is hard to go up too far in size without actually having your mowing slow down because of the lack of manuverability. So that means an X5 series tractor might be a good choice as long as you don't have much tractoring to do in your future. The ROPS will give you some level of grief if you mow next to small or ornamental trees because the branches will hit the ROPS and potentially break your branches.

The FEL work in your future, as well as dealing with a gravel drive would lead me to a tractor larger than the BX, 2210, etc (but not much larger).

So then I look at what you really have, you have some jobs bigger than the X5 (FEL + blade work, because while you might TECHNICALLY be able to do those things you really will find the machine lacking compared to anything else available) and one job that is well suited to the X5 (mowing). But the X5 is nearly the same price, hence not a good value for the $. By my logic, that means you really are looking for a compramise machine, and it is harder to find a better compramise that the Sub-CUT class of machines so your options of a BX, 2210, etc are probably our best options because you will find that while they are small, they are very rugged little machines that are capable of doing big jobs. The biggest problem you will have is with the ROPS and that is only if you have small tree issues. The Sub-CUT class of machines are very good mowers. There are 4 premium machines out there (named above) I would strongly suggest you find dealers of as many of the brands as possible and play with the machines. Be as color blind as you can be and find the machine that fits you best, has the best capabilities for your tasks, and has a dealer that you are comfortable with because he treats you well and will be able to give you support. You might want to consider the Cub Cadet 5000 series as well, but I'm not personally familiar with that unit.

/ Unhappy with X575, etc. ? #6  
We just had a fellow come in the JD dealer where I work looking to buy the X595 Diesel. He liked it but we kind of shifted him into a 2210 because they are the same price. You might as well get the 2210 because you get rear PTO and a 3 point hitch standard. I would much rather have a loader on a 2210 than a X series because it is a little bigger machine, has a ROPS, and the 2210 has better hydraulics for it. I think you should look at the 2210 as it is not that big of a machine for manuvering around obstacles.

/ Unhappy with X575, etc. ? #7  
Bob thats a very good post. All I can say is that i own a cub 7284 and it does all I ask of it fel,backhoe,scrapen etc. I also looked at the 5000 series but went higher because I use it on 23 acres. For what he will need it for would do just fine. Remember don't be color blind om21 and good luck with whatever color you choose it will serve you well.

/ Unhappy with X575, etc. ? #8  
Sterlingtrucks . . . generally I think that Cub Cadet garden tractors are built a bit better than some of the similar size JD units. However I only know of the Cub 5000 series from the internet, so I hesitate recommending them outright because I don't really know how they compare to the BX, TZ, 2210 or GC tractors. Cubs are a premium brand, my observation and use of them is that their larger GTs are heavily built and totally reliable. That said, I can't say anything bad about my JD power equipment either, and I have several small pieces of JD. My JD lawn mower is the best I've ever owned. So while I would encourage people to consider the Cub 5000 tractors, I hesitate to recommend what I have not touched.

I do think that people often are blinded by one brand or another and they often do themselves an injustice by not considering another brand simply because it is the wrong color.

/ Unhappy with X575, etc. ? #9  
I'll throw my experience into this conversation.

I went in looking at the X series and by the time I fitted it for what I wanted/needed it to do (they don't come standard with some of the items the CUTS and Sub-CUTS do) I was within $500 of a 4010. That's the direction my sales guy steered me and I'm glad he did. I probably mow about 75% of the time. The rest is loader, tiller and boxblade work.

Good luck--as others have said--take a look at all brands.

/ Unhappy with X575, etc. ? #10  
I'll second that. I spent the few hundred more when looking at the BX to go to a B7500. Although it tore the grass up with the turfs, yes turfs, I loved it. Never regretted it except for the lawn tear-up. Yes, I had issues with the MMM quality, but I made a "striper" and couldn't be happier. The BX may cut better because of the suspended deck, but the 3pt height issues and ground clearance issues with the BX pushed me to a B-Series again... I just traded for a B7510 with BAR TURFS and let me tell you... the TIRES make a world of difference. I promise you that if you test drive a B, you'll may seriously consider passing on a JD595, JD2210, and the BX2230 all together... especially considering the price difference and the 3pt and loader capabilities.