TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #1  

LDWallace

Tractor
TYM T474 HST
A new TYM owner here. A few months ago I bought a one year old T474 HST with 270 hours. The dealer told me he had sold the tractor as new and all maintenance had been done at his shop and the tractor was in great shape.

As an aside but not relevant to my current problem, the tractor needed a regine as it was being taken off the truck…

The tractor had several issues that manifested themselves right after delivery. The main problem was the failure of the tractor to stop but to sometimes creep forward after I took my foot of the forward pedal.

The dealer said no big deal, he will adjust when I bring the tractor in for service.

I put about 30 hours on the tractor running in midrange, and occasionally in low.

A couple of weeks ago I was in low and moved the range shifter to high.

I have not been able to get the shifter out of high range. It is not sticky, it is stuck! I have the feeling that with a lever I could bend the range shifter into a U shape and not shift the transmission.

I have searched the internet for a solution but I have not found any references to a range shifter being completely stuck.

My dealer says bring it in but loading the tractor and getting it to the dealer is not a trivial exercise for me.

I emailed a couple of YouTube gurus but neither one had a suggestion for me.

So…

Do you guys think I have a transmission problem or is there a simple fix or adjustment that I can make?

A possible related issue… if the tractor should require a regine before this issue is resolved can I do the regine without the transmission being in neutral?

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #2  
I have the same tractor. When I have a problem shifting to another range (low, med, or high), I sometimes have to 'rock' the tractor (lightly press the FWD & reverse pedals...), the shifter/transmission will 'release' and it will easily/smoothly goes into in the new range. DO NOT try to force the shifter! Doing so and you may possibly be buying a new shifter or other transmission related parts...

- Jack

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck
Thanks for the reply. I have tried the moving back and forth between pedals to no avail. But I have not “rocked” it if you mean an actual rocking motion.

The shifter is stuck tight in high, no give at all. But tomorrow I will try to get a rocking motion. But I am not optimistic..

Just strange that I can find no mention of my problem anywhere.

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #4  
Good news... It's rare. Bad news, you have it. Is it a straight throw lever, or H pattern?

Also, TYM as adamant that the the tractor must be in neutral with parking brake set for regen

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck
Good news... It's rare. Bad news, you have it. Is it a straight throw lever, or H pattern?

Also, TYM as adamant that the the tractor must be in neutral with parking brake set for regen
It is a straight throw, no pattern.

That sucks about the regen. Like I said, it did a regen when it was delivered so I have no idea when I might need another one.

I am beginning to think that there must be a major issue with the transmission.. There are a lot of references to a tight shifter but I have found no reference to the shifter being completely stuck.

Beginning to wish I had never bought this tractor.

Thanks for the reply.

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #6  
To be fair, the Kukje diesels usually go 200+ hours before a regen. They are not like the green and orange units in that respect. Though I feel like they are the only ones still requiring a parked regen.

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #7  
The pedal adjustment is really easy too, if you have an owners manual which is available on the TYM website

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #8  
Thanks for the reply. I have tried the moving back and forth between pedals to no avail. But I have not “rocked” it if you mean an actual rocking motion.

The shifter is stuck tight in high, no give at all. But tomorrow I will try to get a rocking motion. But I am not optimistic..

Just strange that I can find no mention of my problem anywhere.
Correct. Slowly 'rock' the tractor back and forth with the FWD & reverse pedal(s) while tractor is running, and applying LIGHT pressure on the shifter/stick in the direction of the desired range (LOW/MED/HIGH). If the transmission isn't 'bricked'... it should go into the desired gear/range with the slight rocking motion.

Good luck!

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #9  
Forgot to mention.... use IDLE ENGINE speed while attempting to 'unlock' the transmission/gears with the rocking technique.

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #10  
LDW,

I found this post in the TBN archives with a quick search on TYM shifter issues:

-Jack