Two Questions in Regards to Mid Mount mower.

/ Two Questions in Regards to Mid Mount mower. #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
My 48 inch Husqvarna is getting old-bought it in 2005-6. I am looking at replacing it so I am torn between the mid mount mower on my GC2410 or a new zero turn 54 inch Huqvarna or Cub Cadet. The dealer suggested the new 60 inch mid mower for the GC1720 series (one you can drive over to mount) will fit and work on my GC2410-has anyone tried it? Will it really work? Also for the price of the mid mount more I can almost get a nice 54-60 inch zero turn. Any thoughts on using the GC2410 as the mower now or replacing the old Husqvarna instead?

/ Two Questions in Regards to Mid Mount mower. #2  
While I've nto used the specific equipment you speak of...

If you land is level or small slant type hill a zero turn is great, fantastic round trees, buildings, etc. I find mine faster than a traditional mower by far (on a residental lot with stuff to mow around about 1/2 the time of a BIGGER tractor!)

At the farm...the ground is a LOT less level..and the mowing is a lot more long straight aways - I found myself wanting a tractor. Has a kubota with a MMM and it was too big..hence the zero turn. When I got a bigger tractor I skipped the MMM for htat reason and got the zero for there...slopes were a bit of a PITA and the girl friend didn't like it. It was great for getting in/under/around things, fences, etc.

So this year we got a cheap lawn tractor and a rear mount 3Pt mower. ONly mowed twice so far and I LOVE it. Perfect? No, none of them are. For mowing along fence lines it's tough to get as close and not hit a post as the deck is bwhind you. I may adjust some to that. MUCH better 'ride' than a small mower/zero turn over rough yard/fence row, and much faster than the little tractor (ground speed for sure). And with 30hp the height of the grass is a non-issue!

At home I've had a toro timesaver I think it is, 25hp, 48" fab deck, $3200ish, for 150 hours now and it's been great. You can spend twice as much on a near/commercial machine..not sure one needs that unless you want a lifetime machine (figure they're designed to work 1000-1500 hours a year...vs a residential machine that is what, 25-50 / year). Mine mowes 2 acres in 90 minutes, about 15min faster if I push it a bit (not as comfy on the back and butt though)

And I can tell you it's DAMNED nice not have to crawl around on the ground and put the deck on/off!!

/ Two Questions in Regards to Mid Mount mower. #3  
Any thoughts on using the GC2410 as the mower now or replacing the old Husqvarna instead?

Only you can decide what's best for your application. I can tell you an MMM on a SCUT works fine as far as cut quality, but it has limitations in maneuverability. The turn radius is better than with a trailing mower, but not as good as a smaller rider or ZTR. I also have clearance issues with the ROPS. There are things I can't get under or too close to, so I have to be constantly vigilant as to where I mow.

Then there is the weight. Your SCUT with MMM, FEL and you in the seat will be over 2,000 pounds. Can your lawn take that on a repeated basis? My 'lawn' is rural and a general mixture of various green stuff, so it doesn't matter to me.

/ Two Questions in Regards to Mid Mount mower. #4  
Do you want to have two engines to maintain and room taken to store a second machine?

My tractor is one size up from your GC and it's cut quality with the mm mower deck is as good as any lawn tractor or push mower I have ever owned.

Sure a zero turn is more maneuverable, but with a hydrostatic transmission it doesn't matter how many times I have to stop or back up.

I take my deck off every time I do dirt work, but no big deal. Takes 2 minutes.

/ Two Questions in Regards to Mid Mount mower. #5  
And as Diggin It said above.....what kind of ground are you on?

My lawns are on sandy soil. I mow with the loader on my B2620 and it doesn't do any turf damage at all. And I have all kinds of trees and landscape stones I have to circle around.

/ Two Questions in Regards to Mid Mount mower. #6  
I owned a Mid Mount 60" on a JD 770. It's like an overgrown garden tractor and weights too much for doing a fine lawn. Plus it scuffs the turf on sharp turns. Taking mine on and off, was a PITA. I fount it virtually impossible to reach the mid mount PTO with the mower in place. My arms are long, but the mower was just in the way.

The loss of ground clearance was also a major drawback. AND, the mower would get covered in mud.

I don't miss it. Although, I am sure there are circumstances where it's the best choice.

Last edited:
   / Two Questions in Regards to Mid Mount mower.
Thanks everyone-
I mow 1.3 acres, mostly good quality loam over clay. Some 45 degree sloping and some wet terrain. I do have lots of trees and obstacles to mow around so Im afraid of damaging my ROP lights. Very good points like mower deck cleaning ease of access and having two motors to maintain vs 1.
My GC2410 has access to all my land but getting around fruit trees under fir, and around obstacles might be challenging. Im asking because its about 2700 for the MMM on the Massey vs a good Husqvarna or Cub Cadet 54 inch is about 3,000. I can get 0% financing on the zero turns where the MMM I need cash.
I do have storage for both like I do now and I also maintain 2 engines now.
Leaning towards the zero turn at this point. .

/ Two Questions in Regards to Mid Mount mower. #9  
I hadn't thought much about it before, but after 6-7 years of mowing with a MMM on my 2310, I suspect I'm now seeing signs of soil compaction.

Somewhat worrisome; didn't see that coming. But, it does do a great job of mowing. I use turf tires, with FEL and BH removed; soil around the house is quite sandy, which may explain what I'm seeing. Makes me wonder what it's going to look like in another 7 years.

That's not something I had even thought about before, so perhaps a dedicated zero-turn --assuming it's lighter-- might be a better option.

/ Two Questions in Regards to Mid Mount mower. #10  
Thanks everyone-
I mow 1.3 acres, mostly good quality loam over clay. Some 45 degree sloping and some wet terrain. I do have lots of trees and obstacles to mow around so Im afraid of damaging my ROP lights. Very good points like mower deck cleaning ease of access and having two motors to maintain vs 1.
My GC2410 has access to all my land but getting around fruit trees under fir, and around obstacles might be challenging. Im asking because its about 2700 for the MMM on the Massey vs a good Husqvarna or Cub Cadet 54 inch is about 3,000. I can get 0% financing on the zero turns where the MMM I need cash.
I do have storage for both like I do now and I also maintain 2 engines now.
Leaning towards the zero turn at this point. .

Free opinion: buy the mid-mount mower. Shop around too as $2700 sounds high (I'm not in the market though.) You probably won't have to take it on and off very often and even when you do it is fairly easy. About your wet terrain: zero turns are fine on the golf course and very maneuverable but they have notoriously poor traction on adverse surfaces, plus steep ground is NOT good for them.

I suppose this is nit picking but you are not taking any tractor over a 45 degree slope other than to slide down it once if you are lucky. A 45 % slope, sure, but NOT 45 degree. A 45% slope is roughly 24 degrees. A 40% slope is "healthy steep" for a good low profile 4WD tractor and 50% is a sensible upper limit. A 45 degree slope is a 100% slope. See chart below.

Slope_--Degres-Ratio_V1 (1).jpg