Tractor Sizing Trying to decide - B2601 or B2650

/ Trying to decide - B2601 or B2650 #1  

Dexterous

Tractor
2019 Kubota B2650
Guys,

I have 13 acres of mostly woods and just enough grass for a push mower (no tractor mowing needed). The property has lots of water issues and trails that need constant maintenance. I also have 200 yard long, crushed limestone driveway with a large parking lot like area near my garage

I currently own a BX23S front loader / backhoe combo and it works really well but its a bit small for what I do. I purchased my BX in 2017 because I thought I wanted a small tractor that could fit into tight places. This happens on occasion but I am more often wishing for a machine with more loader/backhoe power.

I almost exclusively use the font loader and backhoe (no mowing). My very near-term projects include digging a hole for a swimming pool, digging several ditches, driveway maintenance with 2A stone and digging a deep garage addition footer. If I had a machine that could do it, I would also dig up a few stumps around the house as needed. In the winter, I blow my driveway with a rear blade but at 200 yards, wet, heavy snow can be a challenge.

I would just go for the 2650 but I am a bit concerned that I will find it physically too big to easily drive through the woods. ON the other hand, I am worried that there wont be enough difference between the BX23S and the BX2601. I suppose I could cut a few trees and widen my trails if needed but I would only do that if I couldn't get past.

Any thoughts and advice are welcome! Thanks.

/ Trying to decide - B2601 or B2650 #2  
Went through the same steps in machines and concern as you outlined. I would suggest going with the B2650. With your property and projects the B2601 BH you stated as a concern is correct.

...had a Massey gc2310 (excellent scut btw), a B2920/bh65 and current B3300/bh77.

The 2650 will Not be too big in the woods or on your property. I had same concern and it was unwarranted.

Last edited:
   / Trying to decide - B2601 or B2650 #3  
We run a L3000DT in our woods;no problem.Foot print between the B2650/L2501 aren't that much different.Cost wise the B2601/B2650 and L2501 are close.There is a reason the L2501 is the hottest selling tractor for Kubota right now.

/ Trying to decide - B2601 or B2650 #4  
I have 13 acres of mostly woods and just enough grass for a push mower (no tractor mowing needed). The property has lots of water issues and trails that need constant maintenance. I also have 200 yard long, crushed limestone driveway with a large parking lot like area near my garage

I currently own a BX23S front loader / backhoe combo and it works really well but its a bit small for what I do. I purchased my BX in 2017 because I thought I wanted a small tractor that could fit into tight places. This happens on occasion but I am more often wishing for a machine with more loader/backhoe power. I almost exclusively use the font loader. No grass mowing.

My very near-term projects include digging a hole for a swimming pool, digging several ditches, driveway maintenance with 2A stone and digging a deep garage addition footer. If I had a machine that could do it, I would also dig up a few stumps around the house as needed. In the winter, I blow my driveway with a rear blade but at 200 yards, wet, heavy snow can be a challenge.

VIDEO: Kubota B26�1 VS Kubota B265� - YouTube

You should also consider Kubota's B26, the lightest of Kubota's "commercial" T-L-Bs.

VIDEO: Comparing Kubota TLB series tractors(B26, L47, M62) - YouTube

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Heavier tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

So you want to TRADE UP for a new Tractor? - TMT - YouTube

Five reasons owner/operators trade up from Subcompact Tractors:
More tractor weight.
More FEL lift capacity.
More ground clearance.
Three-range (3) HST (Lower LOW, Higher, HIGH) ~~ rather than two-range (2) HST.
Larger wheels and tires yield more tractive power pulling ground contact implements and logs, pushing a loader bucket into dirt and pushing snow. Larger wheels and tires permit heavier tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris with less operator perturbation.

Last edited:
   / Trying to decide - B2601 or B2650 #5  
Went through the same steps in machines and concern as you outlined. I would suggest going with the B2650. With your property and projects the B2601 BH you stated as a concern is correct.

...had a Massey gc2310 (excellent scut btw), a B2920/bh65 and current B3300/bh77.

The 2650 will Not be too big in the woods or on your property. I had same concern and it was unwarranted.
I was faced with the same situation 3 years ago. I bought the B2650 and never regretted it.

/ Trying to decide - B2601 or B2650 #6  
B2601 is not much of a jump from a BX, so I'd go B2650. May also want to consider an L2501/3301.

/ Trying to decide - B2601 or B2650
Thanks guys! I think i will go with the B2650.