truss boom design

/ truss boom design #1  

ironman1952

Bronze Member
Tractor
2023 Kioti RX7320pccb
The cost of a truss boom is pretty high for what is involved.
Here is my design what does everyone think?

Critique :) Please as I am certainly not an engineer. Regards, Joe

Attachments

• Joes truss boom design.pdf
    599.9 KB · Views: 114
   / truss boom design #2  
How much weight are you expecting?
What about adding a wire stay to the top to give support?
You could add an upright at the end of the 120" piece. Cable could have a turnbuckle to adjust tension.

/ truss boom design #3  
Why make it mount to pallet forks rather than direct? What are you intending to lift?

/ truss boom design #4  
Here it is in case it doesn't download on your device:

Screenshot 2024-01-11 14.57.12.png

Screenshot 2024-01-11 14.58.08.png

/ truss boom design #5  
I'm not seeing much of a truss design in your drawing, unless I'm missing something.

If these are pallet forks on a tractor then do the forks tilt upwards a lot? In that case you can run your boom flat with the pallet fork tines, rather than at some kind of an angle.

Also, the strongest point of your pallet forks is near the back, closet to the tractor. So, unless you need to attach something at the tip, attach it at the back instead.

Looking at forklift forks, definitely they're not all the same. Different widths and thicknesses from 4", 5", 6", and 8" wide, and 2" to 2 1/2", or perhaps even thicker at the base. It will really make a difference with the amount you'll be able to lift out in the distance. If your tractor forks were made by a reputable manufacturer, you should have weight ratings, perhaps at different points on the forks.

Also the tractor weight, design, and ballast will make a difference.

If you know the weight on the rear wheels, and the distance between the front and rear wheels as a pivot, and the distance from the front wheels to the load. And the center mass location and weight on your truss. And, of course the actual desired load. Then you would be able to calculate whether your tractor could handle it.

/ truss boom design
Truss boom has become a name for all boom types. More of a modified jib crane +-
The weight this will lift will be 400 or less as I would only be lifting 24'trusses
weighing about 120-150 lbs

SO no not really truss by design. :)

My back tires have about 625lbs times 2 so about 1250 lbs of counterweight.

I am tossing around the idea of building the boom to attach to my pallet forks or possibly purchasing a quick attach plate setup and welding to that.

Thanks, Joe

/ truss boom design #7  
Here's mine. 3x3 square steel tube mounted to fork lift plate (forks removed). Harbor Freight winch added to make final placement raising and lowering easy. Chain added to support top of boom. We easily put our 32' trusses on the 12' walls. Cost us $100 for the steel and $100 for the winch. We bolted it to the fork back plate so we can remove it easily and re-attach it if we ever build another building.
Truss Boom 4.jpeg

Attachments

• Truss Boom 1.jpeg
    Truss Boom 1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
  • Truss Boom 3.jpeg
    Truss Boom 3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
   / truss boom design #8  
Why not just rent one of these ? I bought one to service my windmills, trees & gutters, but for just a short time, rent one and see if you really need that capability all the time. I can take the bucket off and put on a homemade jib crane arm, all controlled from the ground.
SAM_0050.JPG

/ truss boom design #9  
The cost of a truss boom is pretty high for what is involved.

Critique :) Please as I am certainly not an engineer. Regards, Joe
You are paying for the skills of an engineer to design it so people don't get injured and or die. You are also paying to cover the cost of that engineers insurance until the day they die because stupid people do stupid things and lawyers are greedy.

/ truss boom design #10  
I wouldn't over think it... I bolted a long enough 2 by 6 to the bucket of my little CK20 and used that to raise the trusses. Did the job no problem, I was working by myself so didn't have to worry about killing anyone. (that's a joke btw...)
Really the main considerations are how high you'll have to raise, and weight/counter-weight. Trusses aren't heavy but you're lifting something way in front of you so that compounds things.
I could have made something fancy but I've never needed it since.

E.