TruFuel 50-1or Stihl 50-1 or Red Armor 50-1??

/ TruFuel 50-1or Stihl 50-1 or Red Armor 50-1?? #71  
I use the Stihl Ultra Synthetic oil with Stabilizer in my 80' Skidoo Blizzard 7500+ along with my Toro Suzuki 2 stroke lawn mower (1987 purchase) and my Cub Cadet EFCO 57cc 20" chainsaw. None obviously are used a ton but that combination of fuel (always use the Premium gas. Ethanol based always) with that oil has been good for the whole time Stihl has been selling that product. I'd say around 12 years or so. In all of my other 2 cycle small engines I've switched to using TruFuel in 40-1 or 50-1 depending on the product need. Including my small Ryobi chainsaw for limbing work as it's lighter and handy. All the products I use the TruFuel in have worked well and I've had no carb failures since. The last problem child I had was a Craftsman chainsaw that the lines rotted on since it was at least 20 years old when I bought it and the engine scored badly and was done. (rebuild more than the Roybi replacement cost at $79 for a refurb from DirectTools.com) The engineered fuel from TruFuel is a great product for small carb passages which are easily plugged up. I too have a MrFunnel for the water in fuel but with Trufuel you can eliminate that step as it's always fresh in small batches as I use it enough to replace the cans every few months as I use it up. It's a good product. Try it. Your fuel lines will thank you.

/ TruFuel 50-1or Stihl 50-1 or Red Armor 50-1?? #72  
What is the best and experience? I got a gallon of Red Armor. We have e-gas here and it's terrible. Not cheap but is it worth it???
I use TruFuel and Stihl MotoMix 50:1 interchangeably on everything. Saws, trimmers, blower, everything. Starts easier and have had no problems since I started using it. The KM131 powerhead and the 261C have never been ran on anything except the TruFuel or MotoMix since bought. you won’t need to purchase additional stabilizer, treatment or oil. Just pour it in, crank up and go. To me, it’s worth the cost.

As for Non E fuel I have easy access to it in Central Texas as well as East Texas and I use it in mowers only. Occasionally I’ll top off my truck with a few gallons of Non E if I’m filling a few cans for the mowers but not that often.

/ TruFuel 50-1or Stihl 50-1 or Red Armor 50-1??
Only the BLUE marine stabil works. Having really good results with the 50-1 Trufuel in my saws btw. Home Depot sells it in gallons and 2.5 gallon cans. Lowes has it in gallons too. Farm and Fleet has the Red Armor and the Trufuel bit only in quarts. Less in gallons price wise.

-4 here this am...lol.
I will say my 43 year old 028 runs much better on the Tru-Fuel than the 10% e-gas with Marine Stabil and Stihl pre mix oil in it. It actually idles now.

/ TruFuel 50-1or Stihl 50-1 or Red Armor 50-1?? #74  
Old thread, but worth adding my 2 cents.
I strictly run VP 50:1 when i can`t find Echo Red Armor locally.
My saws love the stuff, and i`ve NEVER had any carbon issues with Red Armor 50:1, or VP 50:1.

You can get VP 50:1 (94 octane) right at tractor supply (at least ours carry's it)
You can get Red Armor 50:1 (93 octane) at most any Home Depot

I`ve tried mixing my own (non-ethanol) for years, the canned fuel is far better.
You`d have to buy your non-e gas from a dedicated pump to get a better non-e gasoline that is TRULY non-ethanol.

When you buy your non-e gas from a multi selection pump at the local gas station`s, that pump is going to give you some e gas in it until the hose and filter is cleared, and THEN, you`ll get your non-e gas coming out of the ground tanks. I`ve noticed many times buying non-e at the pump, my saws ran like sh*t, because there was some E gas mixed in it. If you don`t use a chainsaw much, stay away from the gas stations and just buy some VP or Red Armor for your occasional use.

VP & Red Armor:
Unopened - 5yr shelf life
Opened - 2 yrs shelf life

1686965235473.png

1686965360480.png

/ TruFuel 50-1or Stihl 50-1 or Red Armor 50-1?? #75  
And stay away from Stihl`s ULTRA 2-stroke oil. Its GARBAGE!

/ TruFuel 50-1or Stihl 50-1 or Red Armor 50-1?? #76  
I'd take that e100.

/ TruFuel 50-1or Stihl 50-1 or Red Armor 50-1?? #78  
   / TruFuel 50-1or Stihl 50-1 or Red Armor 50-1?? #80  
What’s the downside outside of cost?
Serious carbon build up. Look around some of the pro arborist and chainsaw forums. There is TONS of information with why the oil is so bad. I noticed how carboned up my saws were getting. Then i started looking around some other forums for some answers, and there were many others out there that had issues with it, too. Many have said the cheaper Stihl oil was better than the ULTRA-HP. Some of the forums had the data sheets posted where what oil was rated and what ones weren't. Stihl ULTRA-HP is NOT "JASO FD" rated from what i`ve found out. Ever since i started using the Red Armor 2-stroke oil, i am no longer having carbon problems at all. (Red Armor also has fuel additives in their 2-stroke oil that keeps your gas fresh, ULTRA-HP does not) That alone convinced me that people knew what they were talking about, and why they won`t use the ULTRA-HP at all.

This was one of Stihl`s claims. Its right on their website!
"This fully synthetic oil is also highly biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days."

I would post the forum links in here for you, but the ADMINS & MODS will likely frown on it.

Last edited: