Truck winches

/ Truck winches
I have quite a few winches of all types and IF I would only have one electric winch, this would absolutely be it, (Warn 17801)

How do I know this is a GREAT winch? Because I already have one and it is VERY powerful and I've never had it overheat, even on long pulls. IF, it would get too hot, it will shut off and only power out until it cools and resets, but like I said, I've never had it happen.

SR
Wow are they expensive!
The Warn 12K is the same as a Sherpa 20K

/ Truck winches #72  
Wow are they expensive!
The Warn 12K is the same as a Sherpa 20K

You pay for the name.

Now I believe that Warn has models made in the US, and other models made in China, so that could also be a factor in pricing.

/ Truck winches
   / Truck winches #75  
I think Sherpa is right there with Warn in quality.
I think I'd rather buy the one that's a proven design, been around a long time and made in the USA.

I KNOW that model Warn is a good winch, at least mine has been, I've seen what it will do.

SR

/ Truck winches #76  
When you get stuck out in the middle of BF nowhere - hard to remember the $$$ you saved on a winch that won't do the job for you. 40+ years using only WARN winches and never let down once.

Nowhere = you shout out - the only thing that answers is a lone wolf call or the beller of a bull moose.

/ Truck winches #77  
I actually thought the air flow was improved with the new bumper. The old bumper and lower valance really directed air to go underneath to improve wind resistance.
Not really concerned.
Yet.
I had a winch bumper on a '10 Ram and it killed the mileage, because without the lower factory bumper and air dam the air would end up under the vehicle.

Regained much of the lost aerodynamics by grafting a factory bumper onto it, then added four inches to the air dam, extending it down. It was a lot of work, and ugly, but did its job.

Now this was a gasser, so I didn't have to worry about the aftermarket bumper blocking flow to the charge air cooler. And the bumper was aluminum. Sitting so far ahead of the front axle it was still noticeable weight - and that was without a winch.

/ Truck winches
No long trips or long highway driving going on with this truck, so not a concern, but thanks for the angst. :p

/ Truck winches
I think I'd rather buy the one that's a proven design, been around a long time and made in the USA.

I KNOW that model Warn is a good winch, at least mine has been, I've seen what it will do.

SR
Sherpa is VERY proven.

Hey no doubt about what you are saying. Just need to see if I can afford $3,000 for a Warn 18K winch.

I’m not considering anything that’s junk.

/ Truck winches #80  
I figured out the power problem all together! No battery, hydraulic, or direct PTO drive. Mobile use for any vehicle, including mowers and bicycles!

1702582578938.png