Truck winches

/ Truck winches #61  
Yeah I’m just doing the biggest winch I can fit in the space provided on the front bumper. I can’t afford to do pumps, tanks, lines, switches, etc.
I wouldn't necessarily go for the biggest (heaviest) one that fits.

Don't underestimate the beauty of snatch blocks. Unless the nearest anchor point is far away, one, two, or even three snatch blocks can do wonders.

/ Truck winches
I wouldn't necessarily go for the biggest (heaviest) one that fits.

Don't underestimate the beauty of snatch blocks. Unless the nearest anchor point is far away, one, two, or even three snatch blocks can do wonders.
Nah, I’m keeping it simple.
No snatch blocks, just heavy line and as much as possible.

/ Truck winches #63  
Nah, I’m keeping it simple.
No snatch blocks, just heavy line and as much as possible.
I've found that using snatch blocks can often simplify things.

Not only can they take strain off the winch, but when you can't get the correct pulling angle they're almost irreplaceable.

/ Truck winches #64  
@Hay Dude, I read the first two or three pages, then skipped to the end. Doesn't look like you've bought yet, so maybe this is still useful.

You were talking about a 450A draw, which of course is only at peak load, but you should size for it anyway. Outside of residential applications (NEC), wire is rated according to maximum temperature the insulation can handle, and temperature rise at a given current, for a given number of conductors in a bundle, etc. The trouble here is that even 4/0 (#0000) cable with a 90°C jacket is only rated 405 amps in single conductor... and then all of your wiring devices to which it connects must also have 90°C terminals. That's not trivial.

Even worse, if ambient temp is above 87F, the wire (and wiring devices) de-rates to 91% (369 amps) and then derates again to 87% at 105F.

There are work-arounds, but are you really sure you want to ride this horse? As others have noted a 250 amp / 10k lb. winch can do an awful lot, and doubling up the line with a snatch block is pretty easy for those rare occasions when you need more pull.

/ Truck winches #65  
Oh, and whatever you buy, make sure your wiring is either UV-resistant, or fully jacketed in loom or tubing. Any spot light can get in, on a vehicle that sits outdoors 24/7/365, is going to cause insulation to fail.

/ Truck winches #66  
I have quite a few winches of all types and IF I could only have one electric winch, this would absolutely be it, (Warn 17801)

How do I know this is a GREAT winch? Because I already have one and it is VERY powerful and I've never had it overheat, even on long pulls. IF, it would get too hot, it will shut off and only power out until it cools and resets, but like I said, I've never had it happen.

SR

Last edited:
   / Truck winches #67  
Looks to me like you will loose a lot of airflow, especially after you add a winch. Is that a concern at all?

1702256678341.jpeg

/ Truck winches #68  
I’d really like that, too.
My RAM already has a PTO on the transmission.
Would need pump, tank, electronic/hydraulic solenoid, winch and a lot of labor.

$$$$$$

My guess would be $5K or north.

Electric so much cheaper, but I don’t know about the electric draw.
The best winch I've ever had was pto shaft driven. Now this was on a 67 Bronco and I imagine that I had a lot more physical space to work with sending the pto shaft to the front bumper than any modern vehicle.
I actually had the pto on the x-fer case and with it in neutral, I had a 4 sp winch with reverse!
Talk about making a young 20 year old kid even more fearless (dumb).😆

/ Truck winches
The best winch I've ever had was pto shaft driven. Now this was on a 67 Bronco and I imagine that I had a lot more physical space to work with sending the pto shaft to the front bumper than any modern vehicle.
I actually had the pto on the x-fer case and with it in neutral, I had a 4 sp winch with reverse!
Talk about making a young 20 year old kid even more fearless (dumb).😆
I have that option, but that would be crazy expensive :oops:

/ Truck winches
Looks to me like you will loose a lot of airflow, especially after you add a winch. Is that a concern at all?

View attachment 838105
I actually thought the air flow was improved with the new bumper. The old bumper and lower valance really directed air to go underneath to improve wind resistance.
Not really concerned.
Yet.