Troybilt Stuck In Gear

/ Troybilt Stuck In Gear #1  

Denwa

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B20
I'm looking at a older Tb w/ 8HP Tecumseh that is advertised as "runs but stuck in gear". Can anyone give me a clue as to what the problem(s) could be and likely fix-it costs? TIA

/ Troybilt Stuck In Gear #2  
I suspect it is the rods that the engine slides up and down on to tighten the belt for power transmission. They rust easily, then the engine won't move.

It has happened to mine several times. Just takes some cleanup and grease to fix.

Bruce

/ Troybilt Stuck In Gear #3  
More than likely broken shift forks down in the transmission. could have also had the set bolt come loose on the rail. They are a btch to work on! ----been in many of them and finally quit fixin them for other people!

/ Troybilt Stuck In Gear #4  
Straight cut gears too so they always have to be 'wiggled' into gear. TB parts are stupid expensive as well. I have 2 of them (older ones). Canned the oil burning Tecumseh motors on both.

/ Troybilt Stuck In Gear
I suspect it is the rods that the engine slides up and down on to tighten the belt for power transmission. They rust easily, then the engine won't move.

It has happened to mine several times. Just takes some cleanup and grease to fix.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, picked up the tiller today, and will get to looking around at things, HOPEFULLY what you suggest will do the trick. Otherwise, it is allegedly in fine fetters.

/ Troybilt Stuck In Gear
More than likely broken shift forks down in the transmission. could have also had the set bolt come loose on the rail. They are a btch to work on! ----been in many of them and finally quit fixin them for other people!
Sonny, Hope not, I'd rather be tilling than tinkering, though I did tear my B20 into pieces and fixed several issues with no prior experience. Just good manuals and a little expertise from the dealer.

/ Troybilt Stuck In Gear
Straight cut gears too so they always have to be 'wiggled' into gear. TB parts are stupid expensive as well. I have 2 of them (older ones). Canned the oil burning Tecumseh motors on both.
Wiggling I can do, once I figure out which rod/handle/shifter does what. Think I need a manual....

/ Troybilt Stuck In Gear
Thanks all. Progress has been made by the time tested application of a hammer. Some light tapping on the bottom of the shift lever accompanied by rocking the tiller back and forth on the non turning wheels freed things up! Yea! Now, why did that happen? Of note, when the shift lever is all the way up, and I roll the thing, there is some internal clicking noise. With the shift in the neutral/level position, no clicking and free rolling. Ideas?

I have a horse of some description, having looked at several manuals on line I have not found one that looks exactly like mine. It appears that a call to Troybilt HQ ID Team will be the next step there. Found the serial number (241981) with arrow cast into the housing, but model decal is mostly obliterated.

On the manuals I did look at they recommend checking the tranny oil. I see the drain plug, and the vent plug, but on place to check. I don't want to risk running the thing until I verify the tranny oil level. Also regarding oil levels, the manuals are not clear to me at least as to what position the tiller should be in while checking the oils. Level I presume, but ???

Some wisdom if you please....

TIA,
Dennis

/ Troybilt Stuck In Gear #9  
Unless yours differs from mine:

Shift lever on the RH side = fast, neutral, and slow. It will roll only when in neutral.

"Clutch" lever in center. Up = engine disengaged. Down = engine engaged. Hold far up for reverse.

Bruce

/ Troybilt Stuck In Gear
Unless yours differs from mine:

Shift lever on the RH side = fast, neutral, and slow. It will roll only when in neutral.

"Clutch" lever in center. Up = engine disengaged. Down = engine engaged. Hold far up for reverse.

Bruce
B,
That seems to match what I experienced, other than the engine was not running. Need an air filter before I try that.
Thanks,
D