Troy Bilt Horse Tiller

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #61  
Those can be a nightmare to load a new rope into, try & find a old lawnmower or small engine repair shop & take the housing/cover to them.

Thanks, Johnny. Actually it was quite easy to replace without taking it apart. Bought some nylon cord about the same diameter and it works great.

Now to get the carb adjusted. It starts on one or two pulls in 80 degree weather when the engine is cold. I just doesn't seem to run very smooth and it won't idle very well. I'm going to start by replacing the 30 year old spark plug first.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #62  
Add some seafoam to your gas tank and run it the carb just needs cleaned

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #63  
Thanks, Fragger - I just went through it and cleaned with mineral spirits (didn't have any carb cleaner handy). I'll get some Seafoam though - good idea.
If anyone has instructions on tuning the carb, I'm all ears. It's a Lawson carb

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #64  
After you replace the s. plug, start it up & let it get warmed up good (hot). On the bottom of the carb. float bowl there's an adjustment screw (needle for the main jet) with 1 hand on the throttle on top of the carb.rev it up about 1/2 speed or better & turn the needle adj. screw in (clockwise) til engine starts to cut out a little (lean) then start back with the needle (ccw) til best power is evident, usually 1/4 to 1/2 half turn. Then move up to the upper adj. screw (idle or low speed jet) & adj. it in & out for best idle, there is also an idle speed screw on the throttle that you can co-ordinate with this adjustment.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #65  
Thanks again, Johnny3. That was the method I used but it ran a bit rough and didn't get spinning very fast at the highest setting (not sure it was WOT, just highest with the throttle set to max on the handle bar).
Anyone have specs on what the max free running rpm should be? ( I'm an old hotrodder (see Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages) so, I have timing lights, rpm/dwell meters, etc. Even an old tektronix oscilloscope. ;-) )
Also, I need to see a diagram or photos as to how the throttle linkage should be connected. Any leads appreciated. I'm still looking for the manuals I used to have for this thing.
Johnny, all, I am glad I found this site!

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #66  
I edited this post because...The file I tried to up load was too large... I was of no help... Sorry...

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #67  
Djames - thanks for sending to my email. Much appreciated!

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #68  
Hi, Can you please tell me what is the best tiller brand that you've used? Thanks! I知 quite sure I will be informed plenty of new stuff right here!

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #69  
I HAVE A TROYBUILT HORSE II WITH AN 8HP KOHLER MAGNUM ENGINE. I AM TRYING TO REMOVE THE SHIM FROM THE PULLEY TO REMOVE THE ENGINE FROM THE MOUNT. I AM TRYING TO GET SOME ADVICE BECAUSE I HAVE ALREADY REPLACED EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE ENGINE.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #70  
In AZ there is a tire store/shop where I purchased tires for my riding
mower. For a 2 ply tire at walmart I paid about $2 and some cents more
for a 6 ply tire delivered to my door here in West Texas

willy