Troy Bilt Horse Tiller

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #51  
I picked up one of those old Horse 1 tillers a few weeks ago, with a 6hp Tecumseh,and two matched belts, from an ad on CL for $65.From a date on a sticker on the hood, I'm guessing it is a '76 model. It was very rusty from having been left outside,and there was so much play in the main shaft that it had ruined the seal at the pulley end. I was going to put a new engine on it, but when I pulled the head,everything looked very good and unworn,so I decided to re-use it. I doubt any new engine is made like this HH60 cast iron one,anyway. The carb was filled with gooey dried gas,and it took some doing to get it all out. The gas tank was rusty, but I got a plastic tank from another TB tiller off eBay. New seals and bearing shims on the mainshaft,and a set of new tines,plus new points,condensor,and plug. I probably put a little more than $200 into it in total,and it is a good,strong-running machine. With none of the safety interlocks that are on my '87 7hp Horse, I can just stand there as it runs down a row. I repainted the whole thing,and I am quite pleased with it-there is nothing like the Garden-Way made TroyBilts!

S6000244.jpg

Hello, I have a tiller just like yours and I'm trying to get parts for the motor but can't find a part number on carburetor. Its in pretty bad shape. The engine runs but the carb and the muffler are shot any info would be great. Thank You

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #52  
I purchased a horse w/8hp Kohler and it must have the PTO feature because it has an engage/disengage for the tines, and two bolts hold the tiller to the main frame. Paid $100 for it, said it had belonged to his FIL and had sat outside for a number of years. Said he had taken it to the local small engine shop 3 years ago since he couldn't get it started. Then let it set outside for that 3 years. Brilliant! Brought it home, put green stuff in he tires, cleaned out the gas tank and carb, installed new gas line set the points and expected it to run. It would fire, but not run. Asked the local small engine guru about it, and he laughed, asked what I had set the points at, said forget the book setting of .020 and set to .018, that as the point push rod on the old Kohlers wears, you have to compensate.
Did that, and it started 2nd pull. I have no idea how old it is, the paint is faded and the decals are all weathered out, but I love it. Second season in the garden, and it still starts 2nd pull and does a great job. I noticed today that the top of the gas tank is cracked, bad enough that as the gas splashes up, it soils the top of the tank until it evaporates. The belt slips when I hit hardpan, until I hold down on the forward/reverse lever, so either need to adjust or replace the belt, but really don't know how it's supposed to be adjusted. I'm missing the apron in the back, but suppose I could make one. How about one of you guys posting on here the dimensions and gauge of the apron? Where is the best place to buy a tank? How do I adjust the belt tension?

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #53  
Found the article on adjusting belt tension. Looks like plastic tanks are 75-$80. If I can't fix this one, I'll adapt something else. Still like to have dimensions etc. of apron.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #54  
Hello, I have a tiller just like yours and I'm trying to get parts for the motor but can't find a part number on carburetor. Its in pretty bad shape. The engine runs but the carb and the muffler are shot any info would be great. Thank You

Looks like an old thread, Not many original members may still be following. The engine is a Tecumseh HH60. The parts are very available. The Tecumseh carburetors in that vintage were pretty similar from model to model. At the top of the engine there should be a complete model number of the engine. Partstree.com should get you the carb number if you search by that engine. EBay also has carbs if you know the carb number but I would get it from partstree in case there is a slight difference and you need to exchange (that happened to me with eBay).

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #55  
I just picked up an old troy bilt for free. I ordered the motor mount off ebay bought the engine from hf this morning I need the pulleys that go to the engine anyone have some laying they would be interested in selling

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #56  
I just picked up an old troy bilt for free. I ordered the motor mount off ebay bought the engine from hf this morning I need the pulleys that go to the engine anyone have some laying they would be interested in selling

I don't but am interested in your rebuild. Pictures are nice if you can. Good luck

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #57  
Sorry for dragging this old thread back up but I just had to share. I have a Horse which was purchased in 1982 by a friend of my dad. It has a Tecumseh engine on it, but the most interesting part is it still has the original spark plug in it. Been used every summer since new. The reason I know it's never been changed is that it is painted the same red as the tiller, and the tiller has original paint. The tiller runs great. Every once in the while I take it out so it doesn't seize up. I guess it doesn't take to much to amuse me but I think a working 32 year old spark plug is cool. Tecumseh did make some good engines and this is one of them.

Last edited:
   / Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #58  
Thanks Tim every now and then they make something good .:newhere:

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #59  
I have what appears to be the same Horse model as pictured above. I just cleaned the carb and got it running. Well, then I broke the rewind starter's rope. I removed the rewind starter from the housing (4 screws) to see how it comes apart so I can put a new length of rope in it, but I don't see how it is supposed to come apart to do that. Does anyone know how? It's a Tecumseh HH60 engine.
Thanks,
Pete

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #60  
Those can be a nightmare to load a new rope into, try & find a old lawnmower or small engine repair shop & take the housing/cover to them.