Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #11  
Along with the "normal" garden stuff - we grew - - parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, kohlrabi. I'm particularly fond of parsnips and kohlrabi. Turnips & rutabagas were dropped after the first year. We added zucchini to replace them.

The local "foragers" must have thought it was mana from Heaven.

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #12  
I built a 8’ woven wire fence around my orchard and garden, with chicken wire at the bottom extending into the ground. Now I have no animal issues except for birds. And birds aren’t too much of a problem.

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #13  
Turnips if planted year after year will deplete soil nutrients, If this is food plots i would rotate in clover for a few yrs , That will put nitrogen back in the soil. I have had this same issue .

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #14  
I think that is most likely. A soil nutrient or water deficiency will result in the plants slowly fading, not just disappearing.
Probably both. Whatever is eating them now was eating them before but they were able to regrow faster. Any time you take anything off the land you have to put it back, whether that’s nitrogen or calcium or anything else. 12-12-12 is your friend, and lime if you have acidic soil.

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #15  
Probably both. Whatever is eating them now was eating them before but they were able to regrow faster. Any time you take anything off the land you have to put it back, whether that’s nitrogen or calcium or anything else. 12-12-12 is your friend, and lime if you have acidic soil.
We have alkaline soils so lime would make things worse. In areas with highly alkaline soils people add sulfur to increase acidity. I don’t have to do that; my soils are only slightly alkaline.

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #16  
The place where I bought my collards seed, they say to rotate Growing out of collards two to three years.

But sounds like deer or something has figgered out you are planting good viddles :)

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #17  
Check with your local county extension office to see if there's some disease going around.
Agree. Brassicas grown in the same spot multiple yrs can create air pockets in the soil and invite disease. Try rotating a different crop (not brassicas) for a yr and see if it helps. I would put in some clover or rye for one season. Hope it helps.