Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #1  

BayouMan

Silver Member
Tractor
JD-2640
I love to add turnips in my food plots as extra forage for the deer, but I especially love harvesting them for my own consumption. Hard to beat a good pork gravy with turnips!
My problem for the last 3-4 years, is the greens start to get about 2-3” tall and then just totally disappear! Used to get buckets full of turnips and the greens!
Am I depleting some critical nutrients after so many good years? This is happening in all of our food plots on a 740 lease!

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #2  
Check with your local county extension office to see if there's some disease going around.

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #3  
And I can tell you if your soil gets too acidic it will do exactly what you describe.

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #4  
My guess... you have something eating them!!! Put a fence around some of them... For me everything outside the fence is mowed down (once the critters find out where to get a free meal).

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #5  
My guess... you have something eating them!!! Put a fence around some of them... For me everything outside the fence is mowed down (once the critters find out where to get a free meal).
I think that is most likely. A soil nutrient or water deficiency will result in the plants slowly fading, not just disappearing.

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #6  
A couple of things I had to do here. Ph was a limiter for germination and later greening up and growth. Either the seeds wouldn't germinate, or if they did, the seedlings would get a couple inches high and then sit there with no growth. That doesn't quite sound like what you are experiencing though - these wouldn't disappear, they just wouldn't grow. Also, once the deer found out, some years I had to put an electric fence up to keep the deer out. They could take an otherwise healthy looking crop down to nothing. It really was satisfying after a couple years of failure to see hoof prints at the electric fence, then none thereafter.

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #7  
If you are concerned about your soil, have a soil test done. Not sure where you are.....but around here....local extension office and like $10 or so gets you a comprehensive analysis.

Without it...and without knowing the PH....any money you spend on fert maybe simply be a waste. It is the ONLY way to know for sure what your soil needs.

But I agree with others.....it's likely something eating it. Bugs, disease, or animals.

Are there any tracks? Set a game camera up on the plot

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #8  
A couple of things I had to do here. Ph was a limiter for germination and later greening up and growth. Either the seeds wouldn't germinate, or if they did, the seedlings would get a couple inches high and then sit there with no growth. That doesn't quite sound like what you are experiencing though - these wouldn't disappear, they just wouldn't grow. Also, once the deer found out, some years I had to put an electric fence up to keep the deer out. They could take an otherwise healthy looking crop down to nothing. It really was satisfying after a couple years of failure to see hoof prints at the electric fence, then none thereafter.
I’m surprised that an electric fence worked for you. I tried several electric fence designs for my garden and orchard. None worked and I ended up building a solid 8’ woven wire fence.

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #9  
After about six years we gave up with the family garden. The normal garden things grew great and then - gone. We have just too many local "foragers" that would not share. The final straw was when we watched the adult raccoons send the young out the smaller branches on our fruit trees. They would pull the apples off and drop them to the ground for all those waiting.

Now I grow acorn and butternut squash in two round planters. They have a wire mesh bottom with Miracle Grow added to the native soil. So far, nothing has bothered these plants.

/ Trouble growing turnips for the past 3 years #10  
... So far, nothing has bothered these plants.
Because they are squash! BLECH! 😛

Just kidding. Many people enjoy squash, however, it's one of the very few things I do not enjoy. Squash and sweet potatoes. Yuck. 🙃