Trimming woods edge

/ Trimming woods edge #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I have a farm that consists of alot of field/wood edge line. Probably close to a mile in total. The problem is that now I edge everything by hand which is very time consuming. The way it works is limbs from tress slowly grow out over edge of fields protecting some of the understory which I can no longer reach with my mower. This area slowly grows up with bushes and new trees etc. So I’m constantly trimming limbs back trying to keep up but after 5 years I’m slowly loosing ground. So seems to me I need a tractor implement that reaches out to the side to cut lower limbs and bushes. Is there anything besides expense commercial attachments that might work to speed up the edging process? What options have you guys seen? Thanks.

/ Trimming woods edge #2  
Neighbor hire out about the same job your facing and this guy had mulcher and brush hog set up,diid real good job and save lot of back breaking time.

Attachments

• Cutter.jpg
    Cutter.jpg
    638.4 KB · Views: 259
   / Trimming woods edge #5  
Spot on, Arlyn. On my 80 acres I could spend every day - all summer - trimming back the tree limbs & buck brush. I only concern myself about the land directly around the house and outbuildings. This represents about five acres. The remaining 75 will remain untrimmed.

/ Trimming woods edge
That’s correct and works great for sure. I have a guy that will do it but it’s $1600 per day. He can do it all in one day but with all the other cost I have going right now hate to have to pay this too annually. I also have 3 ponds that the dams need mowing but I have to hire someone with similar equipment. I’m willing to spend 5-10k for a one time cost and equipment that would last for years. Or if one piece would do field edges and steep pond dams then that’s even better and would spend a bit more. Would love to have a excavator with bush hog attachment but those aren’t cheap.

/ Trimming woods edge #7  
Crude, but effective. I use my "tree puller" on my FEL. Grab any intruding limb and yank it from the tree. Or pull the entire tree if needed. Designed it to also fit on rear 3pt if needed.

DSC04726.JPG

DSC04727.JPG

20160319_124017 (1280x720).jpg

/ Trimming woods edge
   / Trimming woods edge #9  
ovrszd - I think I had a nightmare about your FEL implement. Some crazed fool on a tractor was chasing me around the property. Those jaws were snapping shut and getting closer, all the time............. Fortunately, I woke - still in one piece.

/ Trimming woods edge #10  
ovrszd - I think I had a nightmare about your FEL implement. Some crazed fool on a tractor was chasing me around the property. Those jaws were snapping shut and getting closer, all the time............. Fortunately, I woke - still in one piece.

Sorry.... :eek: :D